introducing my loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ALX

introducing my loaches

Post by ALX » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 am

Here are a few photos of my Dojo Loaches. I love having them in my Goldfish tanks.

First we have Goldy Hawn, the gold dojo. She lives in a bare bottom 20 gal with 1 small goldfish and another dojo named Coolio.

Sharing the Orange with Hyla the telescope goldfish.

Coolio is a bit camera shy, unlike the charismatic Gold Dojo. But I managed to sneak this one of him.

I have 2 others, Jetsome and Fletsome. They live in a 55 gallon with large goldfish. I need to take some better shots of them together. Here they are
just Jetsome..

I also have some Kuhli Loaches that I plan to photo soon :D
-ALX

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:49 am

Beautiful fish! :)

Coolio is stunning! In fact i'm not even sure that is a dojo loach, that pattern is amazing.

Just to add are your dojos going to be move to the 55? 20 is a little small. I may also add that you shouldn't mix dojos and coolies if you intended to, they have different temperature requirements.

David :)

ALX

Post by ALX » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:34 am

I am sure Coolio is indeed a dojo. His markings are turning out very cool, he was very dark all over when I got him and the markings now are a nice suprise.

The 20 gallon isn't a permanet home for either the Loaches or the goldfish, but they are all juvies yet. I'm not sure what I plan to do with the loaches. It really depends on what I do with my goldfish.

The Kulies don't live with dojos or goldfish. I will post on them later when I get pics.

I do love that Goldy Hawn gets down with oranges along with my goldfish. None of the other loaches do.
-ALX

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:18 am

ALX wrote:thanks :)

I am sure Coolio is indeed a dojo. His markings are turning out very cool, he was very dark all over when I got him and the markings now are a nice suprise.
Looking at the fins your probably right. Just amazing patterns!! :)

J@CKSON

Post by J@CKSON » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Very nice all of them :)

I have never seen fish eat citrus fruits very cool. It is ok for most or not?

ALX

Post by ALX » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:44 pm

J@CKSON wrote:Very nice all of them :)

I have never seen fish eat citrus fruits very cool. It is ok for most or not?
I know it is good for goldfish.. I can't imagine it is bad for the loach.
-ALX

ALX

Post by ALX » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:57 am

I got a couple new photos of Coolio today. He was being real friendly and even sat in my hand :)

Here is the face shot so you can see his Dojo-ness.

He is so small still. He was VERY skinny when I got him. He is still super skinny, long, and extreemly flexible. A video may be in order to demonstrate his moves. But that is for another day.

Here is a shot of him sitting in my hand.
-ALX

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:01 am

Nice looking fish. Where abouts in Michigan are you? I'm located in SE lower Michigan and I'm looking for a good LFS for loaches.

ALX

Post by ALX » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm

oilhands wrote:Nice looking fish. Where abouts in Michigan are you? I'm located in SE lower Michigan and I'm looking for a good LFS for loaches.
I am in Kalamazoo so SW lower michigan. Each of my Dojos came from a different store. I just keep my eyes out for extraordinary ones. Pet Supplies Plus is the only store in town that sells the gold dojos and Kuhli Loaches consistantly. My favorite store is MVPets and that is a local shop and where Coolio came from.
-ALX

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 pm

ALX wrote:
oilhands wrote:Nice looking fish. Where abouts in Michigan are you? I'm located in SE lower Michigan and I'm looking for a good LFS for loaches.
I am in Kalamazoo so SW lower michigan. Each of my Dojos came from a different store. I just keep my eyes out for extraordinary ones. Pet Supplies Plus is the only store in town that sells the gold dojos and Kuhli Loaches consistantly. My favorite store is MVPets and that is a local shop and where Coolio came from.
Hmmmm. You have had luck with Pets Supplies Plus? At my local PSP the fish always look stressed, sick, or uncared for by the staff (typically young know nothings with even less knowledge of tropical fish). In fact I haven't been back in about a year. Perhaps I should check back and see if things are better now.

Now that I have a good hospital/quarantine tank setup maybe buying from them won't be such a disappointment.

ALX

Post by ALX » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:22 pm

oilhands wrote:
ALX wrote:
Hmmmm. You have had luck with Pets Supplies Plus? At my local PSP the fish always look stressed, sick, or uncared for by the staff (typically young know nothings with even less knowledge of tropical fish). In fact I haven't been back in about a year. Perhaps I should check back and see if things are better now.

Now that I have a good hospital/quarantine tank setup maybe buying from them won't be such a disappointment.
Well, we have 2 PSPs here and one of them is pretty crappy but the other must have a more caring staff. It is on the far side of town so I don't go there often but, they always have a big variety of healthy plants and carry more varieties of loaches than other stores. It is worth a look just to see if they have a better staff by now.
-ALX

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Must be one of those "Your mileage may vary" kind of things. PSP are chain stores, but given Maidenhead is a chain of sorts (right Emma?) I guess it depends on the owners/operators dedication to tropical fish keepers. Thx for the info.

ALX

Post by ALX » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:25 pm

I have some pictures of my Kuhli Loaches now. 2 are in a 20 gallon with Danios and cory cats.. and 2 are in QT but will join the others soon.

So this is Stripes and Solid. They are the ones in the 20.

just Stripes..

Solid swimming..

this is Solid after a tank cleaning that stressed him out, so his color is lost.

Now for the new guys in QT.

This is Sterrup

..and Slinky

Slinky again

And another pic of my 2 large Dojos, Fletsome and Jetsome.
-ALX

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Really wonderful. :) I love Dojos and Kuhlies. All the long skinny fish. Wonderful pictures. Thanks for posting.

ALX

Post by ALX » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:35 am

starsplitter7 wrote:Really wonderful. :) I love Dojos and Kuhlies. All the long skinny fish. Wonderful pictures. Thanks for posting.
Thanks! And your welcome :)
I love the long sqirmy fishes.. they are just so interesting to watch.
I only discovered Dojo Loaches a few years ago and I was quite amazed because they are very much like super gigantic, friendly Kuhli loaches! And I have always loved Kuhlis.
-ALX