Advice please

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

CatsandFish

Advice please

Post by CatsandFish » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:09 pm

i got permission to set up 2 more tanks :D

one 2ft (60 cm) and a 3ft (1 mtr)

the 3 ft 100 L x 40D x 50 H (cm :P) will house my current 9 Y Sidthimunki's and as many others as you guys suggest is sensible, along with a tank compagnon that will not eat possible offspring (if the Sidth's don,t take care of that themselves :P) i have had spawnings in their current tank but too many tankmates that would kill off any youngsters :(
Also a Ancistrus Cirrhosus will be joining them in their new house as his current home of 60 cm is way too small.
Taken that into consideration i don,t really care about the original
location of the tankmates for the Sidth's, (i know they won,t) as long as they don,t eat meat :P. I have had a thought of going for hatchets as they don,t really venture anywhere but at the surface.

Also i,d like your advice on the best possible setup and what equipment too use too make it as quiet as possible as this tank will most likely be setup in the bedroom :D

the 2ft tank will house my 9 Beaufortia Kweichowensis.
I know this tank is a little small, but for now it,s the best i can do for them in giving em their own natural environment.
Will the River manifold principle still work if applied in such a small (read short) tank ?
If so what would be the best powerheads for this tank (Juwel Rekord 60)
If not, what are my best options to create a suitable current ?
There is no internal filter in this tank so what would be the best external filter for this tank ? (keeping in mind the favorable living conditions of the Beaufortia's ;) )

Many questions, advice wanted, thanks for any answer/given ;)

Loachy Greetings,

Michael
Try And Pry Open Your Third Eye

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:23 pm

I do not know all the brands that are available in your country, but the Eheim has a very good reputation for silent operation. I do not like them very much because they seem under powered. Weak water flow. Slow intake.
I have one that the manufacturer says will work on a 200 liter tank, but I have it on a 20 gallon long. This is roughly 80 liters, and 75 cm long. I have also added a power head and made this tank something of a river tank.

Do you have other fish that you will be moving around? Lets figure out which of your fish could be set up in which tanks, then think about new fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

CatsandFish

Post by CatsandFish » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:54 am

tank inhabitants plan:

Vision 180

2x L191 Panaque Sp. (i know these will outgrow their tank, will get 6 ft Tank in the future)
1x L201 Hypancistrus Contradens
1x L052 Dekeyseria Sp.
1x L254 Spectracanthicus Sp.
2x Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi
6x Hemigrammus Erythrozon
9x Carnegialla Strigata Strigata
xx Red shrimps

100lx40dx50h

xx Yasuhikotakia Sidthimunki (currently 9 in Vision)
1x Ancistrus Cirrhosus Albino male
xx Dither fish on advice

Rekord 60-1

9x Beaufortia Kweichowensis

Rekord 60-2

2x Betta Splendens
xx Corydoras Paleatus (currently 4)
xx Dither fish

I,ve read the same about Eheim, so basically i should use an "overpowered" one ;)

CatsandFish

Post by CatsandFish » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks for all advice :(

Merry Christmas

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi Michael, My loaches were in a 3ft tank before thier recent upgrade to a 6x2x2. The tank and filter was 3ft from my pillow but the Ehiem 2026 was silent and never disturbed our sleep at all. As a rule-of-thumb I halve the manufacturers recomendation for max tank size - Ehiem rate the 2026 suitable for 350 ltrs but I found it great in a tank 200 ltrs or under.
I will be setting up this tank again over Xmas for !5 x Sids and a few Kuhlis that will be added once it "matures" after a couple of months with a small school of Cherry Barbs that will go into the 6x2x2 at that time.
Cheers and Merry Xmas Graeme.
PS - you will have to get a partner for your Ancictrus.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.