Neon Tetras with Clown Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

krazykat

Neon Tetras with Clown Loach

Post by krazykat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 am

Yes, clown loach (singular). I tried to get 8 more CLs, successfully QTd them. I was actually able to grow them on from 1.5 to about 3". Then got 3 more and just added them to the 65 where the 8 juvie CLS were - BIG MISTAKE! :( ICH got them all. So the original CL I have that I have had since 2004, which is in the discus tank, is STILL the original CL, all by himself. Anyway, I have some neon tetras in a 29 gallon tank that I am very attached to. The CL is in an 84F 75 gallon discus tank right now. I would like to bring down the temp to 78F and put the neon tetras in with it. If I do this slowly, like 1 degree down a week, do you think that Shamu (the CL) will make it and not break out in ich? Would you do it? Or just move Shamu to the discus tank which would have the same parameters as the 75 gallon discus tank right now? I am avoiding putting the neons in with the discus because I don't want them to turn into discus snack. WWYD?
"Will someone please give me the cure for MTS?"

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:28 am

i had some clowns eat my neons in the past. but my glolight tetras do fine. which are roughly the same size as the neons.

ive read in many instances that people have no problems adding neons and clowns together. i may be the only one that had the problem with them.

i currently house a number of smaller fish with my clowns and the clowns don't eat them at all.

glo light tetras
rasboras
cherry barbs
flame tetras
ive had some other serpae tetras

i had one instance where a small baby corydora went missing the night i upt him in but i think that had more to do with my 18" pleco at the time.
All your loaches are belong to me!

LeStat

Post by LeStat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:48 am

I tried putting a dozen neons in with my clowns once, the next morning there were five left then on the second morning there was only one lonely little neon there.

That one survivor was the largest and that is maybe why he wasn't eaten, you may get away with putting some fully grown adults in there.
250 Gallon, 8 Modesta, 2 Plec, 2 Catfish & a shoal of 17 Clown loach.

uvamargo

Post by uvamargo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:59 am

i keep 5 clowns with 2 neons very easily, and they all seem to get along.

(first post!)

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Neon Tetras are a cooler water fish, I would not keep them in a warm water tank like this.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

krazykat

Post by krazykat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks for responses, everybody! Diana, what do you think of keeping the tank at 78F and gradually acclimating Shamu to that from 84F? Is 78F the upper threshold in temps for the neons?

krazykat

Post by krazykat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:49 am

uvamargo wrote:i keep 5 clowns with 2 neons very easily, and they all seem to get along.

(first post!)
Wow, uvamargo, 1st post! I am honored!

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:04 am

krazykat wrote:Thanks for responses, everybody! Diana, what do you think of keeping the tank at 78F and gradually acclimating Shamu to that from 84F? Is 78F the upper threshold in temps for the neons?
What you are attempting to do is acclimate both types of fish to a temp that is not ideal. Neons need it colder than 78º and clowns need it warmer. These fish have evolved eons and need the right temp for a long healthy life. Any diversion will fail in the long run.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

krazykat

Post by krazykat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:13 am

Thank you, Gary! I have decided to just keep Shamu with my discus. He is used to them. I may have to get rid of some discus so I can turn the 75 into a SA tank and be able to keep the tetras.

uvamargo

Post by uvamargo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

well... i have an addendum to my "neons living happily ever after with loaches" comment above...

the tank was set up for a small shoal of baby clown loaches (5 loaches, all under 3 inches, 55g). i also have 2 kubotai and some various dither fish (including the aforementioned neons).

so last night i got crazy and totally upended the tank, creating all sorts of little hiding havens and driftwood sculptures, as well as added some big (plastic) plants for some coverage. even added a second HOB marineland filter to increase the surface agitation and double the GPH filtration.

uh oh.

i now have insanely happy loaches (my big one is also named shamu, coincidentally) who are doing the loachy dance all over the place, clicking their little hearts out, and generally demonstrating all the happy loach tendencies (including passing out on their sides together under driftwood after all the playing).

so this morning... happy loaches... down one neon.

oops.

:shock:

shari2

Post by shari2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am

guess they prefer a challenging hunt. sitting duck neon's must be less fun...8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

krazykat

Post by krazykat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:05 am

wow uvamargo! I wonder how many other CL owners out there have a CL named Shamu too!