comapability

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

nikitanain

comapability

Post by nikitanain » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:41 am

i have a single yoyo laoch and i am planning to get a few more loaches maybe 2 more to give him company, i would like to know if i can keep him with clown loaches or any other loach or do i have to keep him with the same species.....
also how big does a yoyo loach grow to be?
do yoyo loaches get along with cory cats??

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:18 am

welcome to loaches online. i hope you enjoy using the site. theres nowhere better for finding out about loaches :D there are people using this forum that have written books on loaches, bred them (quite an achievement), and work in the trade, and many people that are complete loach nuts - so you can very valuable advise

please get more yoyos! when i first started with loaches, i just had 1 yoyo and 1 striata as i didnt know better, and the yoyo was really agressive and the striata was shy. i didnt think this was right, so i got 2 more of each. now they are different fish. the yoyos are much less agressive (although they are not strictly peacefull) and the striata are much more brave. i am now setting up a bigger tank so i can get more of each.

it seems like the absolute minimum is 3 per species, but the experts on here will normally say that a minimum of 5 is best. Emma has the most amazing tank with 45 clown loaches.

the Baensch encyclopaedia says yoyos grow to 2.75 inches/7cm, but i think my larger one is easily 3 inches (to the base of the tail)

if you put details of your tank, like size and other fish you keep on here, then the people that know a lot more than me can give you more help. putting where you live under your name could help people, as there not much point in recommending a shop in the UK if you live in the US or Australia or somewhere else.

i hope you find this of some help - sorry i cant tell you much more. i'm sure someone else can. And have a good look through previous posts, there is plenty of useful stuff there, and some stunning photos.

nikitanain

compatiabailty

Post by nikitanain » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:47 am

hi, this is nikita from india,

i have a 75g tank with 1 severum, 2 silver dollars, 1 irridescent shark, 2 cory cats, 1 yoyo loach , 2 orandas, 3 redcaps, 2 angels... they are all tiny babies, i would like to know whether i should get 2 more loaches to give the present one company, he can be pretty aggressive at times so i was wondering if adding some more loaches would help or will it worsen matters?

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:49 am

Agree with Helen on more yoyo's.
helen nightingale wrote: the Baensch encyclopaedia says yoyos grow to 2.75 inches/7cm, but i think my larger one is easily 3 inches (to the base of the tail)
I wish this were true. :cry:

I have five, all were under 1" back in January, and all are above 3" now. I expect them to reach 5" within another year. Some yoyo's reach 8".

Nikita,

The general rule for most loaches is 5+, unless it is an aggressive species. Yoyo's are not, you do need more... and probably you'd be better off with fewer species or more tanks.....

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:59 am

Agree on more yoyos, but a 75 gallon tank is going to be way too small for those fish when they grow.

The two varieties of fancy goldfish should go because they're completely incompatible and in my opinion Iridescent Sharks shouldn't even be sold for home aquaria. They can grow longer than your tank nikita :shock:

To be honest, once the Severum grow, that tank is only going to be big enough for a pair. You could maybe include some Yoyos if you have good filtration. You need more tanks.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

nikitanain

loach compatiability

Post by nikitanain » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:13 am

hi,

i am going to give away the shark soon, and i am trying to get a seperate tank for the golds but space is a problem....

all the fish are babies right now, and by the time they grow hopefully i should have 1 more 50g tank!

AneesasMuse

Post by AneesasMuse » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:24 am

Hi Nikita,
I'm glad you found the site... this is a good one, too. :D

djloach

Post by djloach » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:50 am

Martin Thoene wrote:Iridescent Sharks shouldn't even be sold for home aquaria. They can grow longer than your tank nikita :shock:
When someone asks me about Iridescent Sharks I show them this picture: http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm ... almus2.jpg

They grow bigger than that too.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:06 am

OMG thats huge!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:24 pm

a hotel up the road has one in a japanese pond with koi... and it at least that big.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

nikitanain

Post by nikitanain » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:57 am

the shark is 6 inches now (including tail) and is not at all big...
i shall wiat a little longer... sharsk r available here for 5 cents when small so ppl take them and keep them in 10 gallon tanks...dont want that to hapen to my shark...after he grows a little bigger shall give him away..am getting another bigger tank in 6months....i am planning to transfre half of the fish there.....
75 gallon tank
10 gallon tank
3.5 gallon tank

1 labrador