clowns with yoyo's, does this work?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

James14

clowns with yoyo's, does this work?

Post by James14 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:17 am

I have just setup a clown dedicated tank, 6X2X2', plenty of current and air, drift wood, fine gravel and plenty of plants, shadows and hiding spots. Problem is a haven't really seen the big guys since i moved em all in. What HAS to go? i have 14 clowns, 4 at 6", 3 at 4", rest 1.5 to 2.5". Tank Mates: 3 YOYO's, 2 large pleco's, 6 Angels, silver shark, red tail shark and 3 large bristle nose.

all fed together in the 4' tank now only the small clowns are out and about. got a feeling it's the yoyo's, they always swim in circles with the clowns when there out.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue May 05, 2009 11:02 am

If the 'silver shark' is the one that used to be called Ariuus seemani, then I would remove this one, simply because it is a brackish to marine fish, not fresh water.
If it is a Bala Shark, and you want to keep it, get more. They are a schooling fish. Perhaps with more they will act as dithers, showing the Clown Loaches it is OK to go out and swim around.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Tue May 05, 2009 11:53 am

How long ago did you move everyone to the new tank?

Is it fully cycled and all the water parameters ok?

If the water conditions are fine, it could be your Clowns are still a little stressed from the move and laying low.

Bala sharks are plenty peaceful and need to be in groups, they can get really big though.

The other as Diana described I think also called Columbian Sharks need brackish to full salt as they mature.

The Yo-Yos shouldn't be a problem, I have them with clowns - they zip around all over the place, but the Clowns don't seem to care.

Best of luck - let us know how they are doing
"Long May You Loach"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:17 pm

I have Clowns, Dario, Striata, Yoyos all together with no issues.

I would imagine the Clowns need a little more time to settle in and there may need to be more dithers. Like Diana said add more Bala Sharks if that's what you have. The clowns need dithers too indicate "the all clear".

OneWay

Post by OneWay » Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Bala's are a regular rescue fish for "Monster Fish Keepers." I love them, but they will get huge. One guys states 11" in a year, with max size being around 18".

Full thread found here -> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... p?t=233877

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Tue May 05, 2009 6:33 pm

in a clown dedicated tank, if any species have to go, i would rehome the angels as well. they prefer much calmer water than the clowns and other botias, so with out the angels, you can make a better loachy habitat.

how do the yoyos behave? 3 could be too few, and they could be boisterous because of insequrity. how about moving the angels and the sharks, to make space, and add a couple or three more yoyos?

James14

Post by James14 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:09 am

thanks for the advice, the bala is only 3" but now heading for a mates tank. The Tank is only a month old,all filter medium was changed over, no Ammonia, no Nitrites and nitrates kept at 40. 20% water changes every week, clean one filter a week. hardness at 80 - 100 (soft) and pH 6.8.

Bit soft for the angles and there are plenty of slow spots in the tank and its the fastest i've ever seen them grow, I'm only growing the angels out till they pair off for breeding then their off to their own 3' tanks.

will get a few more pakistani's and see how they big guys go.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 06, 2009 10:37 am

More or larger water changes. Get the nitrate below 20 ppm. When the nitrate approaches 40 ppm is when I see my fish acting not quite right. The toughest fish might be OK at this level, but it is a low level stress, and easily avoided.
Angels are soft water fish, though hatchery raised fish can handle a wide range of conditions. For breeding, though the lower the GH the better.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!