Needing adlvice on clown loach!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

Needing adlvice on clown loach!

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:09 pm

When checking out the aquariums today I was in a near panic, with one of the clown loaches missing!!!!! I thought maybe he had died and one of the nurses or housekeepers taking the little body out of the aquarium! I was broken-hearted and then, thought I would check one more place!

I looked down a lift tube and saw the 3rd loach, looking back! Whew! Being worried about him, I moved the underwater heater so I could remove the lift tube, but, lo and behold, he had scooted on down and out of sight!!!!! He is under the undergravel filter!!

Before I resort to taking the tank apart, can anyone give me advice on this?? Obviously, he swam DOWN the tube, but will he swim UP???

The tube is there, waiting for the go ahead to purchase new powerheads, I didn't cap off the top, sad to say, and of course, I can't do anything now! I did loosen the tube, so I can remove it quickly if need be, if he is visible tomorrow! I didn't want to take the tube out, and block him in.

DainBramage1991

Re: Needing adlvice on clown loach!

Post by DainBramage1991 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:12 am

If the tank bottom is accessible, sometimes shining a bright light on the bottom will encourage them to go back up. He may also come out on his own in a day or two (probably not much food down there).

Consider adding a set of these:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... -pack.html
fish saver elbows to your lift tubes after he comes up. I ended up doing the same thing after rescuing 3 different fish from my sponge-filter lift tube. They can probably be had at your LFS. If not, they can be ordered online for very little money.

Worst case scenario is that you have to CAREFULLY remove everything in the tank, including the gravel, and rescue him directly. You should move the other fish to another tank or a clean, new bucket (or one that has only ever been used for aquarium maintenance) while you do this, as stirring up the gravel tends to make the water extremely dirty.

No matter what course you take, please ensure that he cannot get back under the filter plates again (again, look at the fish-saver elbows, they work quite well).

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:44 pm

There are also strainer type plastic fittings that keep gravel & fish from going under the UG plates. We had a similar thing happen years ago with 2 young skunk loaches. They'd come out to feed but dart back into the tube faster than we could cover it. This went on for months until we had to tear down the tank. Good luck

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Well, all is well! I looked under the tank and saw the little stinker, right by the corner of the lift tube. I removed the tube, used a flashlight and he went right up and out!! Joined the other clowns and ate greedily!

Thanks for your help!!