Himalayan River Tank Setup

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wetterfisch

Himalayan River Tank Setup

Post by Wetterfisch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm

New member here! Want to share progress of my 55g Himalayan rivertank setup. It bases on the biotope of the Teesta/Tista River in NE India. It has no fish at moment, because it still cycles. PVC pipe manifold built by me, with 2 Aquaclear 70 powerheads and Eheim 2217 filter. As for loaches, will probably use yoyo loach or a Schistura sp. Wanted Zipper Loaches, but they seem impossible to find.

The manifold. I cushion it with gravel underneath to avoid vibrations against glass.

Need to still add a few smaller plants (not much in this biotope), so light is off. Debate to use the 2 small logs or replace with one large one?

I have question about temperatures. The fish that I plan (also danios, an Indian torrent catfish and rosy barbs along with loaches) like cooler temps, but powerheads seem to heat water somewhat, so temp at 24 C at moment, but they prefer more 21/22 C in summer. This despite cooler air temps at moment (was 26 earlier). Not sure what to do?

plaalye

Re: Himalayan River Tank Setup

Post by plaalye » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Try just one powerhead, should be enough for that tank. I would also get larger sponges. Another option would be to nix the manifold and use something like the Koralia powerheads for water movement that generate less heat.

Wetterfisch

Post by Wetterfisch » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:55 am

I looked at Koralia powerheads without manifold, but decided not to, because I wanted unidirectional flow with no backflow and a manifold seemed best way to achieve this. I have 2 powerheads, because that was recommended for better flow and I have seen used with 40g breeder tanks of same length. I could remove one and cap the pipe I guess (manifold is cemented together and weighed down with rocks, so it not go anywhere). Other aquarists use this identical setup with hillstream loaches, so there must be a way to correct the temps.

btw The sponges (and caps) are only temporary until I can find larger ones, but no success so far (recommendations?). Had no idea that they so small! :(

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Different brand powerheads will vary. Wattage obviously makes a difference. I used aquaclear powerheads and had similar results. The only real fix that I can think of would be to invest in a chiller. Sponges can be found on most mail order sites if your shop doesn't carry them. I also found some nice ones at Home Depot in the garden/pond section.