another new member with questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Bas Pels

another new member with questions

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 am

Dear all

I’m considering a Sumatra tank, build around 3 species:

Chromobotia macacanthus approximately 15
Balantiocheilos melanopterus, approximately 10
Rasbora kalochroma approximately 25

This tank is currently in use for Central American cichlids, which will all have to move. That will require some time, and the change will therefore most likely take a few months. Months which allow me to read me in.

It measures 4 M * 1 M * 0.7 M high, or, for those more used to think in hands and feet, a little over 13 feet long, a little over 3 feet wide and a little over 2 feet high. The total is 2800 liters of water

2 internal filters are build inside the tank, each 60 * 30 cm (2 * 1 feet) footprint, one with a 6000 l/hr pump, the other with a 4800 l/hr pump.

What do you think? Do you assume these fishes will make up a good combination, both in terms of water, temperature and behavior?

A thing is, I will buy small fishes. Most likely all around 5 cm / 2 inches. This because I read Ch macracanthus are rather unkind towards much smaller conspecifics and getting a group of larger fishes will not be easy – if possible.

But then growing speed will have an influence. I understand B malanopterus does grow rapidly, while Ch macracasnthus does not. Still, I’ve read someone managed to get them to grow from 5 to 10 cm in a year – would that be possible?

I think I would like to add a few more species, and I’m thinking of

Acantopsis choirhorhynchus 15 or so, for on the sand
perhaps a large Puntius species for the lower areas – P everetti or so

The mentioned Rasbora and Balantiocheilos both swim in the middle of the water, so I would need fishes for the top layer too. An example could be Rasbora einthoveni or something similar, 20 and – for the start, when the fishes are still little Danio albolineatus, perhaps 40.

Would this be a good idea?

I’m thinking of adding other species in small numbers, such as 1 pair of Trichogaster sumatranus (wild type) as a contrast

Obviously, the tank will be decorated with lots of rocks, wood and I will add plants such as Vallisneria, Cryptocoryne.

Any suggestions are welcome, especially if the whole idea is rubbish.

I used to have Botias in 1997-1999, after which I kept American cichlids. Therefore I’m not a stranger to aggressive fishes, but in this case I don’t even know who to protect.

Bas Pels

Re: another new member with questions

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 pm

It took a while, and the plans have changed quite a bit, but finally they are starting to come true

First change, I'm using another tank, Not the 4 meter/13 feet tank, but a 290 cm/ almost 10 feet tank in my kitchen

This tank has 1 internal filter, same size als in the big tank

Second change - As I will be keeping much plants, the Balantiocheilos melanopterus, which eat plants, will not be included.

Today I decorated the tank - rocks, wood and sand - and ordered the plants, mostly Cryptocorynes. These will arrive next week and after planting them I will provide the tank a month or so to equilize. By that time it will be time for ordering the fishes

Anybody any suggenstions?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Wish I had a 10' long tank to work with!
Sounds like you are doing plenty of research, and taking your time. That is good.

Clown Loaches will grow the fastest when they are quite small. High quality food, and medicate them for internal parasites.
When I followed the instructions (as a prevention) for 'skinny disease' my baby CL doubled in size in just a month or so. They started off 2-3 cm, and were over 5 cm very quickly.
They do slow their growth, however, and I am reluctant to grow them into the overweight monsters that I have seen. Better a bit leaner, even if they do grow slower.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:29 pm

By now the population is completed

in augustus I got 40 Brachydanio albolineatus, which provided offspring, I think I now have 50
in November I got 15 Barbus everetti and
4 Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus
today I got
32 Barbus pentazona
14 Chromobotia macracantha @ 5 cm, on average

Currently, the everetti are the biggest fishes, I think this will chance in 2 years - most likely they will start groing faster than the clown

My aim is to fuss as little as possible with this tank, I will have to cut a few plants every month or so, but that shcould be it. Apart from water changes, obviously

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Pictures would be nice!

Happy fish keeping!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 am

their tank

can't take any pictures of the loaches yet, as they are rather shy

I had hoped B everetti would haved reduced their shyness, but it turns out they are now much shyer then yesterday :?

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 pm

That is a beautiful tank! I'll bet the fish really enjoy exploring a large tank with so much driftwood and plants.

Happy fish keeping!