Some loaches photo from nature.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:50 pm

I always thought about getting an underwater housing for my camera but I just dont have the opportunity to use it that much. Those are awesome pics. :wink:

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:17 am

The key to spending (way too much) money on an underwater housing (and good snorkel) is that once you have it, you find all sorts of excuses to use it. Next thing you know you've got callassed scraped-up elbows from trying to sit still in a raging river a lap-top plugged up with semi-focussed shots of bullheads and carp.
Fantastic fun. Keeps you surprisingly fit.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:21 am

andyroo wrote:The key to spending (way too much) money on an underwater housing (and good snorkel) is that once you have it, you find all sorts of excuses to use it. Next thing you know you've got callassed scraped-up elbows from trying to sit still in a raging river a lap-top plugged up with semi-focussed shots of bullheads and carp.
Fantastic fun. Keeps you surprisingly fit.
Love the visual you describe. I can definitely see me doing such things. Too bad our winter is way too long here. If I were in Jamaica it'd be alot easier to get into underwater hobbies.
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:46 pm

thanks Nonn :D :D

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Moonpie,
I started doing this sort of foolishness in BC, Canada and honed my technique in Norther Saskatchewan before i realized tropical was easier: you shiver less and can keep the camera still :)
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

TeeCeeJay

Post by TeeCeeJay » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Blue wrote:
TeeCeeJay wrote:There are some fantastic images there, not just the fish but the flora and fauna and even the 'temple'(?) ones in the last link.

The river images make me ask if anyone has ever lowered the water level (or raised the rockwork) in their river tank to replicate the water splashing over the boulders?

In the photos the river looks to be quite shallow in some places and I'm guessing the fish would like the extra oxygen and turbulence caused by the breaking water?

TC
I would confirm an affirmative on that, TC.:mrgreen:
Do you mean that the fish would like it or that you have tried lowering the water/raising the rocks?
Everyone has a photographic memory, some have just run out of film.

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:42 pm

andyroo wrote:Moonpie,
I started doing this sort of foolishness in BC, Canada and honed my technique in Norther Saskatchewan before i realized tropical was easier: you shiver less and can keep the camera still :)
Wow , you're brave. Northeast PA is cold enough for me. LOL I moved here because I couldn't take the summer heat of New Jersey anymore, the mountains are a much more pleasant climate.. but Jamaica would suit me just fine with the sea breezes. I visited there once and really loved it. Looking forward to going back again, and I will be bringing my underwater housing for the camera. :D
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

Slough Shark

Post by Slough Shark » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Great photos Nonn, thanks for sharing. I always love to see the biotopes in other countries.
30 Gallon Livingstone Falls Biotope:
- 4 Steatocranus casuarius