Clowns and Modestas?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

poeticpyro

Clowns and Modestas?

Post by poeticpyro » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:00 pm

I found 5 modestas not that long ago, probably about 6 months. I had them in a 30 gallon to see how much they would grow. They are all about 3-4" and doing quite well. Today I moved them into my 125 with the 5 clowns. I'm just wondering if they'll be alright. The clowns are from 4-6" and are not coming out as much as I would like. The tank has two eheim 2217s on it and is changed frequently. I also have 3 plecos... a queen arabesque, bristlenose and vampire, just wanted to know if these guys will be ok as well.
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

Blue

Re: Clowns and Modestas?

Post by Blue » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:04 pm

poeticpyro wrote:I found 5 modestas not that long ago, probably about 6 months. I had them in a 30 gallon to see how much they would grow. They are all about 3-4" and doing quite well. Today I moved them into my 125 with the 5 clowns. I'm just wondering if they'll be alright. The clowns are from 4-6" and are not coming out as much as I would like. The tank has two eheim 2217s on it and is changed frequently. I also have 3 plecos... a queen arabesque, bristlenose and vampire, just wanted to know if these guys will be ok as well.
Both species should never be mixed. Yasuhikotakia modesta especially is very aggressive and clown loaches certainly will not tolerate too much harassments to some extent. The same thing can be said when mixing them (Yasuhikotakia modesta) with other fish. I'd get another large tank instead of returning them to the 30g which is very small for even a single Yasuhikotakia modesta alone.
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:05 pm

i know it's small, but it is all i have... they were being tormented and i had to rescue them. the clowns are taking to them quite well... and even "shoaling" with them... the modestas are pretty calm, they never harmed the angelfish... i have two large ones... and their fins are still long as hell.
many tanks...

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:07 pm

poeticpyro wrote:i know it's small, but it is all i have... they were being tormented and i had to rescue them. the clowns are taking to them quite well... and even "shoaling" with them... the modestas are pretty calm, they never harmed the angelfish... i have two large ones... and their fins are still long as hell.
I'd still be wary regardless. They won't show aggression yet but as time progresses, they will eventually change their attitude. You only moved them today so it's not yet their time to show their true colors. The angelfish especially will have its fins trimmed sooner or later.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:11 pm

This is definitely not a good mix in my opinion. As the Y. modesta really settle in and once they grow larger and become more mature, their aggression level will heighten. They are very active at night, when they may well start to torment their tankmates. If a larger tank specifically devoted to the more aggressive species is not an option, are there any fishkeepers or reputable shops you know that would be willing to rehome them?

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:28 pm

emma... i love you and truly like your opinions... but there isn't another shop close by... the one i got them from... omg... they started with 10 and lost 5... they kept them in a 2 gallon holding tank and only fed them once a day... it was horrible...i don't know what to do... i could put them back in the 30, but i'd feel horrible..
many tanks...

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:48 pm

Where abouts are you located, PP? You may be surprised about possible places to re-home the loaches. If a bigger tank is not an option, at least the loaches may have a chance in a good home...?
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:03 am

i'm in georgia...

would they be okay with eachother for another year or so??

i've heard and seen of people keeping clowns and modestas before... doesn't it depend on their personalities and won't they be less agressive since they're in a larger shoal, like tiger barbs..?
many tanks...

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:59 am

okay... it's 2 am and i'm still awake worrying about the little guys...

i went in to check on them and they're all sleeping together...

would it be a dumb idea to just keep a close eye on the situation?

the only other pet-stores around here are PetsMart and pet supermarket... neither of them are allowed to freaking have these guys, they treat fish poorly around here and have no clue what they're doing...

i've been reading a ton online and most say, it depends on the fish. there are tons of caves and plants... the clowns are bigger than the modestas, minus one clown that never grew...

i really don't want to let them go... unless it's necessary. my clowns are not as outgoing as they once were and i figured another species might help since the dithers didn't... they were all swimming peacefully, no chasing, at feeding time... who knows... any advice is welcomed, please don't think i'm not listening to it... i just really don't know what to do... there aren't any good places that i'd feel ok with dropping them off with...

one place that is a privately owned store tried to sell a woman a common pleco for her 10gallon tank... i was furious... he told her the fish would never get any bigger than 4 inches... what a liar!
many tanks...

Blue

Post by Blue » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 am

poeticpyro wrote:would it be a dumb idea to just keep a close eye on the situation?
Nope.:)
i've been reading a ton online and most say, it depends on the fish. there are tons of caves and plants... the clowns are bigger than the modestas, minus one clown that never grew...
Aggression among Yasuhikotakia modesta is the norm unfortunately.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:23 am

Given your situation, I'd say watching and being wary is the best bet at the moment.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am

The trouble with rescuing fish from these 'problem fish stores' is that they then think "oh, we've sold those, let's get some more in" and then another batch will arrive and so the misery continues. It's a horrible situation and I too have wanted to rescue loaches from other shops, but have had to stop myself. I've actually come out of one place in tears after seeing their B. striata looking at me, almost willing me to please take them home. A truly awful situation to be in.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:41 pm

So far... they're sleeping together and swimming around nicely. the clowns, minus the alpha have readily accepted them, but the alpha clown showed that he/she is boss... we'll see how it goes, so far, so good... they've left my angelfish entirely alone, maybe they're going to work out... *sigh* i just cannot give them away to any of the stores close by... we'll see, i guess that's my only option.
many tanks...

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:42 am

Hi Poeticpyro,
I agree with all the other experienced loach owners on this post with not keeping Modestas with Clowns together. Modestas go through phases and if not agressive towards the clowns now, they will be later. They may live togerther but is it worth the stress to the Clowns? If you do decide to keep them together, prepare to deal with the agression if it should start.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.