loaches arriving in 4 days

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ali12345

loaches arriving in 4 days

Post by ali12345 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi,
I have 5 4-5 inch clown loaches arriving in 4 days. I was intending to put them in my new 10ft x3ft x3 ft tank but should I hold off and wait until I have added the other fish ? What can I do to help them ? I will be adding a filter from an active tank. the water is treated and has been sitting with filtration and plants for a few weeks. I really wanted them in early so they could establish themselves.
thanks
Alison

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Is your 10' tank cycled? No other fish in there? How are you keeping the biofilter active? What size is the filter you'll be adding and how much of a fish load does it currently support?

5 bulky clowns are a stiff hit for the biofilter. You'll have to monitor your tank carefully for ammonia or nitrite spikes.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

ali12345

Post by ali12345 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:17 pm

shari2 wrote:Is your 10' tank cycled? No other fish in there? How are you keeping the biofilter active? What size is the filter you'll be adding and how much of a fish load does it currently support?

5 bulky clowns are a stiff hit for the biofilter. You'll have to monitor your tank carefully for ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Hi,
I will be taking one filter from another tank which is heavily stocked - fully stocked 150 gallon with 2 filters. I will also add some Cycle.
Alison

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:22 pm

you should go ahead and swap the filter over now so the bacteria can build over the next few days. you may also want to move some water over from your other tank when doing your next water change. adding five good size loaches (or any fish for that matter) to an empty tank is something that would concern me.
let's see some pictures when you get it all up and running 8)

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Pick up a bottle of Prime from Seachem as well. Better safe than sorry.

Kevin

Oldfish

Post by Oldfish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:31 pm

Stop! Don't put them into your huge tank until you have quarintined them.You can observe them better in a smaller tank and if you need to medicate them its much easier and cheaper in a smaller tank.Once they are settled in you can move them to your hudge tank without worry.In the meantime get your new tank completly ready.Also dont forget to take some pictures.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:03 pm

What he said....and split your filter and fish now from the established tank to get that big tank up to speed. Loaches do better in established tanks and that is a lot of glass that will eventually be covered in growth. Put your Clowns in a high flow 55us gal 4 foot tank for observation while your new tank comes up to speed and maybe the Clowns in your more established set up after qt.......

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Wow that is a nice big tank! :D But why so few loaches? Thats like 700 gallons almost... the minimum recommended is 6 loaches and a 180g. You could have an amazing group of at least a dozen (well a lot more actually but a dozen should still leave plenty of room for other bottom dwelling fish if you desire).

And correct me if I am wrong, but without an ammonia source I think the beneficial bacteria in your current filter would start to perish within a few days if you put it in in such advance... If the filter is all gunky the remaining decomposing organics will feed the bacteria probably enough... but I dont think the bacteria will grow and fill in an empty tank so not a whole lot of sense moving them in early.

As said above I agree they should be quarantined first. The demand for such is less if this is an unstocked tank, as it will serve as a quarantine, but wouldnt be ideal... if you had to treat the tank would require a lot of meds! or trying to extract sick fish later would be very difficult, and the switch to another smaller tank for treatment would be even more stress. Good luck! I am sure most of us would want to see pictures of this setup! 8)

ali12345

Post by ali12345 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,
I moved the filter onto the tank when they arrived, because the filter bacteria need food to stay alive. The filter was on quite a heavily stocked tank so no ammonia, no nitrite problems on the new tank.
I have 9 clown loaches now and they have settled fine except they are not making much of an appearance.
I have 10 giant danios and 5 silver sharks too.
The loaches only come out in small numbers max 5 morning or evening. I was hoping they would shoal but hopefully that will come. No lighting in the tank yet. Maybe it will help when there is a more definite day and night.
Alison

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:13 pm

WOW a 700 gallon tank.. I'm so jealous I'm drooling.
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:44 pm

^ No kidding! 8)

I'd still say you should have a lot more clowns though.

Just curious, do you have lots of decor in the tank? Driftwood, rocks, caves, plants, etc.? They will be at their best when there are plenty of hiding spots most say. But probably, they just need some time to settle in. If I had a tank like that I'd have a huge ol tree stump in there...

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:57 am

Alison, do you have any pictures of your tank? And where do you have it set up? Do you have a fish room, or is it part of the house decor?

I'd love to see it. 8)

And as Tristan said, decor--plants/wood/rocks and lots of hidey holes will get them comfortable. They also like a lot of water movement and you'll find them swimming into wherever the current moves the most. As for the lighting, they prefer a dim tank, so I'm not sure their upfront-ness will improve with the addition of a regular lighting schedule. Do they get any daylight exposure in the tank at all?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

ali12345

Post by ali12345 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:45 am

Hi,
yes I have loads of rocks, ornaments, wood, plastic plants. The tank is up against a brick wall in a conservatory type room out of direct sun. Natural daylight though. Also I have loads of current at the moment. I have 2 external filters , 2 internal and a pond pump. when my sump tank is up and running the main filtration will be through this using the pond pump. It gives such good flow though that I am tempted to get another one.
Alison