How many loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

djloach

How many loaches?

Post by djloach » Sat May 20, 2006 10:17 am

I am in the process of setting up a 90g aquarium and am wondering how many loaches I can add to it. I will definitely be adding ~5 clown loaches and am also considering adding Kuhli loaches and weather loaches and possibly some hillstream loaches. Since loaches are mostly bottom fish, how many loaches is too many? Could a 90g hold 5 clown, 4-5 kuhli and a couple weather loaches? I'll be adding some mid and top level fish as well (currently have some danios) but what I will add will depend on how many loaches I get.

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Sat May 20, 2006 10:26 am

5 clowns is pushing it and i think weathers/hillstreams both have different tank needs than clowns and khulis. you can jam pack that tank full of khulis though *they can be counted as 1.5" of fish instead of three* clowns however, get to be HUGE 12-14" 5 is in a sense pushing it, just because 90 gallon tanks don't have a good width measurement. you can get 5 and put them in the 90, but know that a couple years down the road you're going to have to upgrade. just my opinion, i'm not trying to be rude. plus you want a lot of good dither fish, so i'm not sure if the clowns would work... maybe emma or mikev will reply.
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat May 20, 2006 11:35 am

A 90 gal could and will hold all the fish stated. But it's not compatible nor is it a final home for some. Clowns "need" space. Weather loaches "need" colder waters. Pangio's (Kuhli's) need peaceful area's.

I personally would just go for 5 Clowns until they out grow your 90gal.

HylaChristine

Post by HylaChristine » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:29 pm

I have been keeping weather/dojo loaches in 76-78 degree tanks for 3 years nd have had no problems, I have currently had 4 Kuhliis in the same tank for 5 months also with no problems, maybe this just works for me?

Edited to add there are also , botia straita and skunk loaches in this tank.