is it maracyn I and II dangerous for the filter?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lunasmile

is it maracyn I and II dangerous for the filter?

Post by lunasmile » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:31 am

I would like to know how dangerous is the use of maracyn I and II for the filter and for the cycle itself, i need to use this meds due to possible skinny disease. 4 of my clown loaches died, I have one more, it is not showing any problems, but I heard that skinny diseases was contagious, I am not sure if it is even worth it to put the maracyn, as prevention with my other fish. I have a 37 gallon tank with tiger barbs, plecos and catfish. please cab someone give me any info... thank you...

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:26 am

If used properly, there should be no significant damage to the bacterial colonies in the filter.

jerry_tyler

filter

Post by jerry_tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:04 pm

I have two canister filters plus two wet dry filters on my tank. One of the canisters has charcoal and the other has bio balls. If I am medicating and turn the one that has the charcoal off. Then turn it back on every other day for just enough time to change water in the canister. Do you think that would work?
Hope you understand what I am trying to say.
thank jerry :)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:36 pm

I wouldn't bother turning the one with carbon off. If the carbon is five days old or newer, I would remove the carbon.

jerry_tyler

carbon

Post by jerry_tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:19 pm

If the carbon is 3 months to 6 months old then what? Is the carbon no good after five days?
thanks jerry

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:48 pm

The instructions say to remove the carbon if it is five days old or less, because it would remove the drugs.
If your carbon is that old, it is probably not going to remove anything, including Maracyn 1 & 2.

lunasmile

Post by lunasmile » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:06 pm

thanks, i only have one filter, with the bio wheel. I think i am just gonna follow the instruction of the medication, hopefully everything is gonna be fine...victoria. :wink:

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:48 pm

If you follow directions, you should be okay. I have used Maracyn 1 &2 with biowheels and had no problems. Good luck! :)