Biosecurity in EU and North America

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Graeme McKellar

Biosecurity in EU and North America

Post by Graeme McKellar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:12 am

Hi All, Whilst at Aquarama I went to a lecture on Biosecurity by Alex Ploeg (Secretary Ornamental Fish International) and he said the EU is very close to finalising legislation regarding the import of fish to prevent introduction of diseases,pathogens and invasive species to these countrys.
Australia and New Zealand are the leaders in this field and legislated this way over ten years ago and that is why we can not get so many fish that you can get in your countrys (especialy loaches) and the EU is heading down the same path soon and North America considering the same.
Because exporters cannot ensure their fish are free of Biosecurity risks they, like Australia, are reacting by banning the import of these fish. One of the main factors driving this is the Food Fish Industry which is of more concern to them than theOrnamental Fish Industry ($ driven of course).
The industry is very concerned about the implications it will have on them as these are the main markets for them - Australia was not the slightest concern to them as it was only a minute sector of the market.
It is the same in the export meat market were Australia and NZ hold such a great advantage because they have no Foot In Mouth or Mad Cow Disease and this makes their product so desirable around the world.
Cheers Graeme.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.