Which Khuli is this?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Baccus

Which Khuli is this?

Post by Baccus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:41 pm

G'Day all
I have loved Khuli loaches for years and am finally branching out into other loaches such as Dwarf Chains, Pakastani and Borneo Suckers. With my love of Khuli loaches I can't resist getting another couple anytime I see them in my local Pet shop (which is not all that often :cry: ), any way I got this Khuli loach a while ago but have not been able to pin down just which type it is, so I was hoping that all of you other loach addicts might be able to help in indentifiying it.
Thanks
All of my other Khuli's appear to be P. khuli and P. semicincta but this one doesn't seem to fit the bill for any of the pictures I have seen so far.

Diana

Re: Which Khuli is this?

Post by Diana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:35 pm

I would think that one is the one sometimes called Giant Kuhlie.
Slightly longer, distinctly larger diameter, and yellow tends to be that stripe + spot pattern.

Here is the one I am thinking about. Follow that back to the species list for a few others.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-myersi

Note that gravid females and over fed fish can look plumper than is normal for the species, and the color patterns vary, sometimes quite a bit, even among fish caught in the same area (and presumably genetically related)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!