Buy an extra clown loach, yey or ney.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

redshark1

Re: Buy an extra clown loach, yey or ney.

Post by redshark1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Looks a good fish, nothing that a good meal won't sort out :D

I agree with option no. 2. He's been in a small tank and had more contact with the glass than he's been used to. I hope it heals and is then forgotten.

Dammit, you've got me saying "he" now :lol:
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Ha, ha, ha :lol: He, he, he :D

Yes, his colour is not great and he seems to have been starved for a while, probably in the shop. I hope he's eating. He didn't eat straight after I put him after acclimating but today he was sifting around at dinner time so hopefully he'll fatten up. He tends to be following my loaches rather than them following him so he still has not established any higher than 6th out of 6 available positions :mrgreen:

Thanks very much for your input and comments.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:51 am

They'll sometimes get a callous on their snout when they dig/explore too much. It usually heals in about a week or two. I think you got one very happy loach there. Probably thinks he's in paradise after what he went through before you got him.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks chefkeith. I am keeping an eye on his nose. He seems like a very happy clown. Here he is below on the picture chilling with some of the other loaches but most of the time when my clowns chill at the front he "plays" around them. I don't think he can hold himself :lol:

Last edited by Loachloach on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Just a few more pics showing Big clown playing with the dwarfs :D I am very sorry for the dirty filter pipes. I must ask the clowns to go in and clean them up :lol: Anyway, does anyone have any idea why is the new clown kind of pinkish and my other five are kind of a lot more yellow in coloration?

Last edited by Loachloach on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:44 am

And just a short video of the bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POn4tSZ6_v8

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:24 am

I took a better video with the ligths on of the clowns loaching around. :D
I think because the big loach is so outgoing he's making the other loaches come out a lot more now. Even if they retreat after hours of racing around he still keeps going alone. He even made my corys join in so on one side I've got the clowns and on the other a bunch of corys racing the glass :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNbSQNORjPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbh4RXE04II

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Once they get to about 6" their orange/black colors start dissipating.
As they grow larger than that, gaps begin to form in their black stripes.
Here's my Amazing Grace from when I got in 2003 to now in 2013:

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks chefkeith. Amazing grace truly deserves her name. Lovely loach :)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:40 am

There seems to be regional variation too. But I think with your good feeding that will be less of an issue if they're from the same area. Congrats on your good rescue!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 am

Thanks Nancy.
He's such a happy clown. He's been restless and has driven the rest out of their "shell" too.

Solo

Post by Solo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:50 am

I really enjoyed reading your story and watching the videos. I have to say, I probably would have done the same thing if I had the room to house another good size tank! I often see them on the 'buy and sell' ads, some of the time people are giving them away for free (after buying them to control a snail problem and then realizing how big they get). Every time I see an ad for a clown loach, I think a new tank would be a suitable replacement for our coach :wink:

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:35 am

Every time I see an ad for a clown loach, I think a new tank would be a suitable replacement for our coach
:lol: :lol:

Thanks Solo.
The clown is doing great. He has claimed his own cave. There has been no fights for dominance that I've seen and everything is peaceful and friendly. He does not attack my smaller fish or intimidate them in any way so it seems size for clown loaches doesn't imply greater possibility of predation, although I hope he snacks on baby platies :lol:

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Just a boring update guys, for the sole reason that I hate unfinished threads. :wink:

The clown loach is doing fine and I am glad I didn't introduce any diseases by not quarantining him, however I don't suggest that to anyone of course.
I honestly can't see the white patch on his nose anymore and he won't pose for me but from what I can tell it may be gone altogether.

He is a bit of a loner, meaning that he comes out on his own a lot or would be in his cave when the rest are out, but he does join the others every day for the entire morning and seems to mostly follow them around like a puppy. I don't think he knows he's the biggest one of them :lol:

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:11 am

Hi guys,
My big new loach has settled fully. His white nose has completely healed for sure as I had a good look. And he eats from my hand!! :D His belly has rounded too :lol: The rest started copying him and come to the top of the tank after him at feeding time and love snatching the mini wafers falling down. Their barbells are so soft and I love when they "bite" me. They are so gentle :D