Gastromyzon ID - mixed bag

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

atmichaels

Gastromyzon ID - mixed bag

Post by atmichaels » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello- I've had these for going on two weeks now and have had a great time trying to identify the (4 or 5) species. Any input would be appreciated. I'm thinking the topmost is g. Viriosus and I'm pretty sure the bottom right is hypergastromyzon humilis. The one I'm really curious about is the second from the top with the reticulated markings. I believe the remaining three are g. Zebrinus or at least the two darker ones are. I have lots more pics if that would help. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific collection data other than Borneo. Thanks for looking!

Austen

Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

atmichaels

Re: Gastromyzon ID - mixed bag

Post by atmichaels » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 am

Here are some more photos of the reticulated one.

Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 pm

That's a very nice mix of hillstreams! I'm jealous! :D
I would agree with all your IDs.
As for the reticulated one (and possibly the light colored fish directly below it), they could possibly be cranbrooki, but I am not by any means positive.
I have seen pictures of gastros like this lately on other websites and there seems to be some question as to what they are.
More pictures might help clarify things.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks, Jim! These originally came in a group of 12 and after receiving this group I caved and bought the other 6. So now I have at least two of each. Looking at the full complement I'm convinced the lighter "zebrinus" is a different species or variant. Here are a few more pictures of both the reticulated and the lighter one.

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/atmic ... eticulated

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/atmic ... ow/Lighter

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:37 pm

I am still not sure. Whatever they are, they are nice looking fish. Did you get them in a store or online?
Also, what country are you in?

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:46 pm

I got them from gunpowder aquatics in Florida (Richard Gelok). I'm in Detroit. I've put Dr. tan's book on my Christmas wish list, fingers crossed! Thanks for your help! Regardless of species, these are some great looking fish.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Dr. Tan's book is good. Maybe you will be able to ID them after looking through it yourself. Sometimes it helps to look through the different species descriptions and collection notes to see what other type of fish occur in the same streams. Often times you will see that several gastros could be collected together and that might narrow your search.
Since you got them in the US I will keep my eyes open for them. Lately it seems like the only gastros I see are pure shipments of scitulus or ctenocephalus. I used to find them in mixed shipments of two or three species most of the time.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Here's the reticulated one after coming out of qt. Almost black it's so dark!

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:38 am

what was his lable for those guys? i've bought hillstreams from gunpowder a few weeks ago, some of them look like what you have.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Richard didn't have a label, we were both trying to figure that out. Right now he has them listed as a "grab bag".

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

i saw that, but i just assumed it would be random ones from what he has labled and instock already. i've been doing some intense googling and finding alot of scientific articles on gastromyzon, but its all scanned books (many with black and white photos) so its very hard to see the photos for a good id. (i'm a visual person and just reading a desciption doesn't help me).

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 pm

I understand, I'm the same way. I finally caved and bought Dr. tan's book. I think I'm getting closer to an ID.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:40 pm

I hope you do. I tend to be visual on the ID's myself and Dr. Tan's book helps, but it also helps if you can look at the fish up close and not in just a pic.

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:04 pm

i'm hoping to get tans book for christmas. i don't mind the pics, because it keeps me from running back and forth between the tank and my computer :-)

what do you have it narrowed down to?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Actually that's what I meant. I can take the book to the tank and get a better comparison. Dr. Tan's book is helpful in that it has pics of live fish, not just the pickled, colorless specimens that make identification difficult at best.