Lonely Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

QueenBee

Re: Lonely Loach

Post by QueenBee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:48 pm

:D I literally saw them from across the shop and made a bee line to their tank! I had to have them the minute I laid eyes on them. Really nice looking fish, and peaceful.

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:13 am

Oh yes....

Unfortunately, I cannot set up any more large tanks (no space :( ) and all the ones I have are filled .. well, somehow one day.

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Oh btw if you are not firmly decided on Zebras, this may be a good deal on Kubs. IMHO, Kubs are nicer....

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:48 pm

The pleco is a really nice fish. He has his place in the back of the tank and is out all the time. I wonder if he will also be evicted once I add in additional clowns. There are plenty of hidy-holes for him though, so we shall see. The "cave" she found in the drift wood is fairly large (never used by the pleco) so they all might decide to jam themselves in there, as I see is common with clowns.
They'll probably more likely all jam themselves in the same cave once you add them.
When getting the new clowns, make sure you drip acclimate them to your water as long as it takes. I never got the dreaded ich when adding clowns but I took my time getting them adjusted, drip acclimating in a large dark covered bucket to reduce stress.
They look outwardly healthy (big, sleek, bright and fat), so I need the added stress to make sure they show me if they have something.
Even a healthy fish when stressed out will get sick. Most diseases are caused by otherwise harmless pathogens lurking in all tanks, being opportunistic and affecting fish only when their immune system is weakened by stress. So any stress is the last thing you want. So yes, bagging them for a couple of days will get them sick.

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 am

mikev wrote:Oh btw if you are not firmly decided on Zebras, this may be a good deal on Kubs. IMHO, Kubs are nicer....
Thanks for the info mikev :) Any additional loach species will be down the line once I get clowns settled in and I assess my wall space availability for additional tanks :? Still have that 20g I can play around with...

Thanks Loachloach for the advice. I will be sure to acclimate new loachs slowly to their tank, although this is a few months away. I quarantine new fish separately from my main tanks for 2-3 months. So once the rummys are moved out the next batch will be clowns. Looking forward to that day :D
Loachloach wrote:bagging them for a couple of days will get them sick.
Sick and worse possibly. Agreed, I can't imagine bagging fish for days. I would give myself something too, like an ulcer from the stress.

Thanks all!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:46 am

Good luck. Let us know when you get the new crew

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:30 am

That is one lucky little loach that has found a nice home with someone who really wants to take good care of her. I know nothing about clown loaches, but I think she's going to be very happy and healthy, judging from how you want what's best for her.

Kudos!

-- dojosmama

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Thank you dojosmama!

She is doing well, eating everything I offer. Can't really tell what her favorite food is, she attacks everything with similar gusto :)

Seems she is a morning loach. She is most active in the morning hours (~5-9am, moon lights come on 7-9am), but is slow to emerge even after the main light is out in the evening (8pm). If I offer food at night, she will come out, grab a morsel and dart back in (8pm to ~11pm). I have heard her clicks as early as 2am, so she probably forages through the night. The house is most active in the mornings, so perhaps she likes to be included :?:

She has started to emerge from her cave even when the main light comes on at 9am, which is nice. I like having my morning coffee with her :)

No fights or anything of the sort with the other tank residents. My quarantined school of rummys continue to do well.

All is good here!