New clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

New clowns

Post by mikev » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:21 am

Here is something unplanned.... I was pretty happy with my group of clowns and did not plan on adding, but then stopped in a lfs and saw a person returning her clowns:

The small one is 5"+... now, the big one... bigger than any of mine.... so the idea of them going to the lfs just did not sound right....

Next.... quarantining them in a 10g tank surely qualifies as animal torture.. the big one could turn around... barely....

Finally... moving them into the 6' tank.... and the final torture.... I'm afraid to use net on large clowns, been through a couple of episodes of a spine caught in the net.... so instead, let's see if a nearly 11" fish (well, I'm rounding up a bit) can fit in a 8" container:

It did.... was not exactly happy for maybe 30 seconds ....

I was actually afraid it may feel stressed by this treatment and then exposed to my older clowns.... no such thing, 30 minutes later it figured out how to beg for food and joined the crowd....

Diana

Re: New clowns

Post by Diana » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:04 am

What a nice ending for some good looking fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks, Diana,

Not the ending just yet.... two alphas in the tank now, my almost 9" and the new one, I think the girls will have to settle this somehow.

Hopefully the new big one (maybe I'll think of a name yet) is not too nasty... while she is perfect, the smaller ones had their fins chewed up... either her doing, or some tankmates (large cichlids, not sure what exactly) the previous owner kept with them...

These clowns came from a person who raised them from small ones over a number of years.... and I really did not feel like leaving them in a dirty chain store tank where I see dead fish every time I stop by....

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTerIszkFoI

Here is a funny thing about the new group: for a number of years i thought that seven was a sufficient number, nobody was hiding and the group generally was not shy... except that it was averse to visitors, if a guest approached the tank, they would all run to the far corner. Today a friend came in to take a look at the new arrivals, and for the first time they did not react to him...

I experimented a bit after he left... another thing they did not like was if I move quickly by the tank... now, they tolerate this fine too....

:D

Now, the remaining problem.... strangely enough, new guys do not understand snails. My old ones go for them right away, new ones look puzzled....

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Great video Mike, thanks for sharing!

I am glad to see the new clown family blending well. I guess what they say is true: the more the merrier. Makes me think I won't be able to stop at 5 clowns or better yet, shouldn't...for the sake of the fish of course :)

The new clowns may figure out the snail thing given some time. At first my rescued clown didn't either, and the snails would just roam the tank. Then one morning (about a month into her quarantine) I noticed empty shells at the bottom of the tank. By the next night there were no more snails to speak of, and some had grown quite a bit. She has been an avid snail eater since then.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Blending too well :(

The entire crowd has been out since 3pm today (should have been 7pm -- this was the pattern for years! ) and all begging for food.... makes me feel guilty, today is one of the "skip feeding" days. So yeah, five is not enough for their full comfort, and my 7 was not enough either. But this is it for me... unless I see something huge or extra attractive again :(

As for snails... you are of course right, this will happen, but larger fish is more conservative than small... may take a while.

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Oh man, you have an uprising on your hands :D Just look away!

Ok, that settles it then. 5 clowns for now, more in a couple years when I go to the larger tank.
mikev wrote: But this is it for me... unless I see something huge or extra attractive again
You do have some really nice looking clowns there. Loved seeing "Dotty" swimming around, great fish!

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:30 am

Thank you!

I'd probably go for 6 or 7 in your situation. The need for a larger tank is based on the size of the fish and you will be likely getting small ones (2"-2.5")... not on how many of them are there... and having a couple more gives you a margin of safety, you may lose one or two down the road...

The uprising btw succeeded.... they got their extra meal.... and this probably means even more begging the next time.

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Well, no one can blame you for giving the extra meal...you were out numbered after all.

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm

LOL

Now, the next stage.... I probably have to give her a name.... "New big fish" is becoming irritating.... maybe I'll steal your fish name, it kinda fits. :P

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:07 am

Yes, a name is certainly needed here.
mikev wrote:maybe I'll steal your fish name, it kinda fits.
You are welcome to it! :D

Your fish is much bigger then mine is, so I could always start calling mine "Princess Bee"/"Dutchess" or something not Queeny...although that might require a new forum name for me...come to think of it, I doubt anyone realizes that "Queen Bee" is the name of my fish, and possibly that I think very highly of myself... :oops:

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:19 am

No such thought on my end... but I have to admit, I initially thought you have a dario. :oops:

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:15 am

Yeah, I can see that misunderstanding. Ok, I will have to think about this.

:)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:50 pm

I'm not usually into unusual clowns but I do really like the Target clown! That's a new 1 for me! Good of you to add some big kids to your mix, Mike, good luck! Keep the pics coming...

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:49 am

Thanks, Nancy!

Took me a while to understand who "Target" is.... she used to be known as Mr. Spot, until it became obvious she is no Mr.... so meet Ms. Dotty. :P She has been with me since 2006, 2"->almost 9".