Best food for clown loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loachloach

Re: Best food for clown loaches

Post by Loachloach » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:29 am

Well guys, just wanted to report on my clowns. They started eating prawns.

I ran out of food for the last week because my food order seems to have got lost in the post and they don't sell the ones I buy here locally. I am sorting the problem out with the sender so I should receive it next week.

So I decided in the meantime to feed just prawns until I receive proper food. So my tanks have been getting shredded prawns and various veg now for the last week and I am proud to say the clowns finally figured its food.

I think they just weren't used of such food because I had only tried it once a week or so before and they turned up their noses on it. Now they are piling up and snatching the pieces from the water column. Tough luck for them, nothing else to eat :lol:
My corys in another tank also started spawning after the protein avalanche :lol:

I am a bit terrified of the tank water going bad but I normally do 50% water changes weekly and all is fine.
Clownloachman wrote:Prawns, courgette, cucumber, Hikari mini wafers always a favourite, bloodworm, live earthworms, mussels, crabstick, seafood roll, broccoli stalks, mushrooms, shrimp tablets, cauliflower, Mellon, bloodworm pellets, new era grazing rings, squid rings, peppers, pear, just a few things my lot will take to :-)
Thanks clownloachman. That's a pretty comprehensive list. I've tried quite a few of these and from the veg mushrooms and pears didn't get touched by any fish, even by my pleco who is a pig. Hikari wafers were indeed a hit. I used to buy them regularly some years ago but started buying the New Life spectrum as staple then. All the other veg and fruit are really accepted. Another one not on the list that they really love is mango. I must try some of the seafood stuff on the list.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:33 am

I get dry foods from here:
http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/

and feed all sorts of vegetables. Not always sure who is eating what, but all the tanks get a wide range of plant based and higher protein foods.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks Diana. I live in Europe so got food from UK company. I feed them new life spectrum and some other vegetable sticks that my vegetarian fish love, and they don't sell these here.

Just took a picture of one of my clowns. She's the 2nd biggest I have and she's always out. I must take a picture the biggest clown I have, he's gorgeous too.