New Histrionicas, but...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

longshlong

New Histrionicas, but...

Post by longshlong » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Bought a group of four Histies today to add to my one who was on his own. Nice group of five but one of the new additions has only got one eye!

Is this going to cause a premature death? This particular fish isn't settling either, he's darting up and down the tank and is not joining the others. Does anyone else have any one eyed little guys that have lived as part of a group happily?

mikev

Re: New Histrionicas, but...

Post by mikev » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:34 am

No experience with one-eyed loaches, but in general one-eyed fish does fine and may live as long as ones with two eyes. I would not worry too much about this... now, "not settling" is of course more of a concern. Can you exchange?

longshlong

Re: New Histrionicas, but...

Post by longshlong » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:23 am

I've been watching them closely and it's clear the markings are slightly different on this fella. He's more withdrawn and stays out of the way most of the time and rarely joins the histie madness at dinner time. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a rogue kubotai. I'd have thought they would group together regardless though?

Does anyone keep groups of histrionicas with kubotais? And if so, do they interact and group together? I suspect This might be the problem here rather than having an unhealthy fish. I'll try and post some pictures later on.