Need help IDing a loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

BlueElite

Need help IDing a loach

Post by BlueElite » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 am

Hi! I'm new to posting on this forum, but i frequently go on the website and read the forum. I just recently made an account, anyway.I was at a local petstore. I asked the guy there what this loach was, and he told me it was "an eel thing." So i decided not to get it. Instead i wanted to get a second Yoyo Loach for my fish tank so my other Yoyo Loach had a companion. At the time I didn't realize but he gave me a different type of loach, or whatever this fish is. I can't really tell and i need help IDing it, I looked on the main site and i honestly cannot decide what it is. Some help on IDing this would be nice, because I'm so lost on what this fish is. Sorry the picture is upside down, I took it with my phone and that always seems to flip pictures when i send them to my computer.

mikev

Re: Need help IDing a loach

Post by mikev » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:16 am

Looks like an upside down Lepidocephalichthys guntea.

BlueElite

Post by BlueElite » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:20 am

Oh yea, they really look alike. I think you're right, thanks! But should i buy one or two more so he has a companion? Do you need to do that with all loaches?

longshlong

Post by longshlong » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:20 am

If the guys sold you that thinking it was a yoyo loach and described another fish as 'an eel thing' i'd seriously consider using another store the next time.

You want to be sure you are getting sound information.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:17 am

Yes, need a group.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

What size tank? I agree with Mike V, a lepido of some kind. Most loaches do best in a group...if there's room, yoyos get pretty big & can be semi-aggressive (rowdy anyway)...the lepidios I kept (furcatus) were tiny but not too shy...jumpers though...Tell us more about your tank please.

BlueElite

Post by BlueElite » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:22 am

I have 2 fishtanks, a 10 gallon which this loach is in, and a 55 in my garage. In my 10 gallon i have 4 neon tetras, 7 leopard danios, 2 yoyo loahes (two inch long), the Lepidocephalichthys and a baby peacock eel (2 inches long.) Around every day i feed them blood worms or brine shrimp. It has a Fluval 1 plus filter. I also have around 9 ghost shrimp in the fish tank. Once the yoyo loaches, the Lepidocephalichthys or the peacock eel grow too big for this tank i'm going to move them into the 55 gallon.

The 55 gallon has bigger fish, 4 gouramis, 3 giant danios, 2 bumblee catfish, a brittlenose pleco,and 2 4 inch eclipse catfish and 2 2 inch eclipse catfish. I'm looking to get a larger fish tank, maybe a 90 gallon or bigger when some things in the 55 grow, like the eclipse catfish and the gourami. I've had this fish tank for the past couple years with the same fish, It's a bit overstocked i guess but we're looking for a bigger tank for them. It also has a 80 gallon national geographic canister filter.

The local store I sometimes go to has a lot more types of fish then the average Petco or Petsmart so I go there when I'm looking for things like loaches, catfish or other less common type fish.

BlueElite

I have 2 fishtanks, a 10 gallon which this loach is in, and a 55 in my garage. In my 10 gallon i have 4 neon tetras, 7 leopard danios, 2 yoyo loahes (two inch long), the Lepidocephalichthys and a baby peacock eel (2 inches long.) Around every day i feed them blood worms or brine shrimp. It has a Fluval 1 plus filter. I also have around 9 ghost shrimp in the fish tank. Once the yoyo loaches, the Lepidocephalichthys or the peacock eel grow too big for this tank i'm going to move them into the 55 gallon.

The 55 gallon has bigger fish, 4 gouramis, 3 giant danios, 2 bumblee catfish, a brittlenose pleco,and 2 4 inch eclipse catfish and 2 2 inch eclipse catfish. I'm looking to get a larger fish tank, maybe a 90 gallon or bigger when some things in the 55 grow, like the eclipse catfish and the gourami. I've had this fish tank for the past couple years with the same fish, It's a bit overstocked i guess but we're looking for a bigger tank for them. It also has a 80 gallon national geographic canister filter.

The local store I sometimes go to has a lot more types of fish then the average Petco or Petsmart so I go there when I'm looking for things like loaches, catfish or other less common type fish.

BlueElite

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 pm

I'd say this is a bit crowded, and you have some other issues with this list in 10g:
(1) yoyo's do need a larger group (2) yoyo's grow very fast and they need space to grow! -- I had small yoyo's grown a few times from 1" and the results are much better in 20L than in 10g (3) I'm not sure I'll trust even a 2" yoyo with neons in a small tank.... and before long yoyo's will be 3" or 4" ....

As for Lepidocephalichthys overgrowing this tank -- not really, guntea tends to grow to only 3"-4" and they do not need much swimming space. My current group of 12 spent 3 months in a 10g qtank.... this was OK, but once I moved them to a 20L rivertank, they look much nicer. One hint : make sure that the substrate is black.... the difference in the fish appearance is major.

BlueElite

Post by BlueElite » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Yea, i guess it's a good idea to mov the yoyo loaches soon. I'll also get on changing the sand to a blackish color gravel/sand. Thanks for the advice!