Schistura pridii

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

atmichaels

Schistura pridii

Post by atmichaels » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:12 am

One of my favorite vendors recently got some of these in stock. However, based on everything I can find online, including LOL and seriouslyfish, the wild population is incredibly limited in both range and number. Following a 2011 assessment, the IUCN redlist has them listed as endangered due to the above reasons as well as habitat degradation. Further, their known locations are almost exclusively within a protected wildlife sanctuary leading to the assumption that any available in the hobby are most likely illegally collected (read poached).

Does anyone know if this species has been successfully bred in captivity? Or if there has been some other (miraculous) change in status?

I will be contacting the vendor as well but expect I'll be disappointed with the response. Absent a successful breeding program, I just don't see how the sale of these loaches could be considered ethical. This just adds fuel to the fire of those who want to ban the aquarium trade altogether.

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

redshark1

Re: Schistura pridii

Post by redshark1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Sorry I cant add to your investigations, but I find it very interesting what you raise. Thanks for reporting on it and I hope you can update us.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:10 pm

I got a great response from the vendor (The Wet Spot in Portland, Oregon) that really made my day. They agreed not to buy or sell any more of this species. They also said the following:

"In the meantime, if you happen to know anyone interested in loach species conservation, please let me know – we’d rather these fish went to someone who may be able to sustain the species in captivity."

So now I'm asking if there is someone on here I could suggest. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:27 pm

That's great!
I thought there was an article about breeding this species in Amazonas magazine but it was instead an an article about breeding the "panda" hillstream loach, Yoashania pachychilus.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:03 pm

That's funny, Jim. When I read your first comment I reached for my Amazonas and re-read it cover to cover. At any rate, they found someone who specializes in rare loaches with a mind toward conservation. So it all worked out.
Thanks,
Austen