My larger loach died!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

My larger loach died!

Post by Sadielynne » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:04 pm

I am so sad, as the larger loach in one of the vets home's aquariums has died. :cry: I had had him for about 1-1/2 yrs. or so and he was about 3" long. I had treated the tank earlier for a tear in his tail fin. It was a bit white, but not "hairy" like fungus. It seemed to heal OK and he was doing OK, until a couple wks. ago. I didn't think he was quite as active as he had been, staying in his 'home" and when he tried eating, he just seemed to check out the food and pass it by. I wondered if there was something going on with his mouth - maybe kind of rimmed in white, but I couldn't get a good look to see anything! I didn't treat any further and didn't do any other water changes.
I am thinking now, I should have done a water change, but it hadn't been very long ago that I had.
I have his little body at home, in the freezer, as I am going to bury him when possible!! :( His mouth looks pale. Any thoughts, other than maybe I SHOULD have done a water change - all the other fish are doing great, including a smaller clown loach! And, I know sometimes fish just die, and we don't know why.

redshark1

Re: My larger loach died!

Post by redshark1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi and sorry to hear of your loss.

Water changes should be part of the care you give to your fish. If you are not sure then it may be helpful to do some research.

I keep many fish but have found Clown Loaches the easiest to keep and mine are now 21 years of age. The potential is there to have them a long time but learning how and realising you can do better takes maturity and humility.

Don't give up. I urge you to be determined to do better and wish you good fortune.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:23 pm

I do regular water changes, and if I think someone is distressed, I will do a change then, too. I take care of 5 aquariums, plus an aviary and 3 cockatiels, and work nights, so I know sometimes I might be a bit slow, but again, I didn't think it had been so long as to be an issue and everyone else in the tank is doing well. There is another loach and he is doing great, so after a water change, I'll probably add a couple more loaches. They are so darn cute and I am broken hearted! I talk to the fish and give them a varied diet, so it's tough to lose one!
Thanks!!

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:59 pm

My advice would be to find a maintenance regime you can manage that gives the right water parameters and then provide consistency of care (for the next 20 years, or 30, or 40...!).

The right regime can take time to establish as it means measuring ammonia and nitrate for a while until you get things right.

Enjoy your fish!
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.