S. lineolata Species Tank Questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Nick Hancock

S. lineolata Species Tank Questions

Post by Nick Hancock » Wed May 13, 2015 2:21 pm

I have a well-oxygenated, lightly planted Sewellia lineolata species tank set up--20 gallons, 40 gallon HOB filter. I have an airstone chugging away on one side, under a nice piece of driftwood which distributes the bubbles very nicely, and the filter cranking on high with a nylon bag over the intake. The substrate is Eco Complete strewn with big river rocks. The fish seem happy and quite interactive in spite of less than ideal flow. I initially had an Aquaclear 402 in there on the lowest setting, but the following morning I found a smaller female dead against the nylon-screened intake. This may have been a freak accident or a weakened/sick specimen, because I know most people use powerheads with these fish, but needless to say, I removed mine. The tank is well oxygenated and I'm hoping the extra filter capacity provides some sense of flow, but again, the fish play and spar and chase each other happily, so I'm not too concerned.

My water parameters are 77*F, pH 6.8, GH 75. The water is CRYSTAL clear--noticeably clearer than any of my other tanks. I would imagine it's too early to expect breeding (the community was established in two parts--seven went in about a week ago, six more went in two nights ago, then I lost one). I have two definite males, two smaller specimens that to my untrained eye could go either way, and the rest are definitely ladies.

I would love to see some fry once the community/hierarchy is established. So here are my questions.

1. Does the community M:F ratio seem good?
2. Does the water seem right for spawning?
3. Will the 40G HOB filter suck the fry to, or even through, the nylon bag over the intake? I know fry are very small--it's the finest mesh I could find.
4. Will I need to supplement fry with extra infusoria, or is what naturally occurs in the tank sufficient? There are three lowlight plants and the tank gets LED, 60W ceiling fixture, and indirect natural light all day. The LEDs normally stay on well into the night time, until 11pm or so.

Thanks!

mikev

Re: S. lineolata Species Tank Questions

Post by mikev » Wed May 20, 2015 11:58 am

A few comments.

I keep S.lineolata in a 20L river tank, yes, running off a 402, plus a sponge filter. While current is not a must and your set up should work fine, current does make the fish a bit more active. The intake should be closed properly. I suspect that simply putting nylon bag over the intake creates a bit too much suction on the intake, putting a sponge instead of the nylon bag solves this problem and also would result in cleaner water (sponge would absorb the dirt).

Per your questions:
1. Does the community M:F ratio seem good?
-- it really does not matter all that much, as long as you have a male and a female you should be ok.
2. Does the water seem right for spawning?
I prefer slightly harder water for hillies (TDS = 150)
3. Will the 40G HOB filter suck the fry to, or even through, the nylon bag over the intake? I know fry are very small--it's the finest mesh I could find.
Close the intake with a sponge, yes, it will destroy some fry unless not closed.
4. Will I need to supplement fry with extra infusoria, or is what naturally occurs in the tank sufficient?
HTH
Infusoria is not helpful. There will be some leftovers from the adult's food that the babies can eat, and if you want to supplement, do this with powder food (this does increase the fry yield).

Nick Hancock

Post by Nick Hancock » Wed May 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Thank you mikev. I will get some sponges. I don't want to mess around with my water chem too much, but are there any easy, natural ways to harden it a little?

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed May 20, 2015 9:23 pm

you are very welcome. No "natural" way, one simply needs to add minerals every time to the new water if one wants to harden it.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 21, 2015 3:11 am

I have to disagree, Mike

Rain is soft everywhere, and then the water hardens because of minerals in the soil. Therefore, using some limestone in the decoration of a tank would harden the water more or less naturally.

Water changing would make the water softer - but in nature it rains too, so I think the fishes must be able to cope with temporarily soft water.

Still, for some fishes, I once heard of a life bearer only found in a certain lake, on limestone, the above does not apply: It never rains there, and if it rains, the lake is large enough to buffer any changes

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu May 21, 2015 3:46 am

Bas Pels wrote:I have to disagree, Mike

Rain is soft everywhere, and then the water hardens because of minerals in the soil. Therefore, using some limestone in the decoration of a tank would harden the water more or less naturally.
I have to disagree, Bas Pels :P

Limestone will have more of an effect on pH rather than on hardness, it will primarily release calcium carbonate.... pH=6.8 is more or less ok (assuming it is stable)... you don't want to make it 7.8...

As for stable: looking at Nick Hancock's parameters ... it would be advisable to check kH too, I suspect it may be close to 0... and that's no good.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 am

My sewellia lineolata spawned successfully (twice?) in a 55g with sponges over filter intakes. Pretty soft water here, I'm not sure hardness is an issue. Unheated tank (~70F) with 2 AC 70s & a powerhead (maxijet 400?)...I use Repashy Soilent Green gel food & flakes. Your tank seems a bit overstocked compared to mine, I have ~9 adult & 3 juvenile sewellia, 3 gastromyzon, a couple danio choprae & whiteclouds: & stiphodon gobies x 6+ of various species. LOTS of plants too, so a lot of infusoria & algae available to both adults & fry.

How often do you change water? What is your nitrate level? Those may make a difference too.

Nick Hancock

Post by Nick Hancock » Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am

NancyD -- I change water every few weeks, and have never had a nitrate problem. I have some small, hardy plants in there that are actually growing pretty fast in the eco complete--a petite anubias, java fern, red crypt, and a big old bolbitis. Between the wood and the river rocks, there's not much room for much else. The bolbitis, like I said, was pretty large when I got it, and rooted to a ceramic log. That takes up a nice chunk of tank, and it's starting to grow out over the rocks nicely. They love it--they hop around in the leaves.

They hosted my four very young clown loaches for about a week, so they're getting back into the swing of things now. I have not been keeping the temp that low. Maybe I'll pull the heater altogether. My ambient temp is a little warmer than yours, but they'd still be a couple of degrees cooler.

Thanks for your input!