Bloodworm

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

adampetherick

Bloodworm

Post by adampetherick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:10 am

Would bloodworm from my local fishing tackle shop be safe for use in the aquarium?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:11 am

No idea :? . But if it's live, it can be one of the easiest ways of introducing disease into your aquarium. I'd stick with the gamma irradiated frozen stuff if I were you. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

adampetherick

Post by adampetherick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:16 am

That's a shame, got a huge tackle shof about a 2 min drive from the house rather than the 20 min drive to my lfs

What other foods are good for clowns, I got a pack of the Dutch frozen bloodworm and the daphina that M.A. sell, the bloodworm is great but the daphina just make a big cloud in the tank that none of the fish seem to eat.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:08 am

They love white mosquito larvae, which is not as rich as bloodworm. Also brineshrimp (Artemia), and for slightly bigger fish try mysis and krill. Daphnia is a very nutritious food, but it is quite tiny and more suitable for small fish.

Emma

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:18 am

I would steer clear of the live bloodworm in the angling shop fro 2 reasons, 1 is that like Emma said it is the easiest way to introduce disease and this stuff is mass produced, and 2 is the cost I am an angler myself and woulnt pay the amounts that most shops want for bloodworm the prices in certain areas are ridiculous.

My Clowns get Mysis Shrimp, Black midge larvae, White midge larvae, frozen Krill and diced prawn as well as Bloodworm. I dont know how much you pay for your frozen food but you can get some good deals on ebay, I have a friend that lives 2 minutes away and he goes over to Holland regularly and brings back tons of Ruto food. I get my bloodworm in either 100g packs for £1 or 500g packs of bloodworm gold (better quality) for £5, all of his other 100g blister packs are £1.25 each. He does post the stuff as well and he does a discount if you get a full box of 25 mixed packs.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Ken

Re: Bloodworm

Post by Ken » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:06 am

adampetherick wrote:Would bloodworm from my local fishing tackle shop be safe for use in the aquarium?
If it's the same type of bloodworm that's sold in the US for bait, I wouldn't recommend it either. They are a large saltwater creature that usually comes from muddy conditions and would probably make a big mess of your tank because the clowns would have to tear them apart.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Emma Turner wrote:No idea :? . But if it's live, it can be one of the easiest ways of introducing disease into your aquarium. I'd stick with the gamma irradiated frozen stuff if I were you. :wink:

Emma
Gamma irradiated? I doubt that. I'm pretty sure its ultraviolet radiated

adampetherick

Post by adampetherick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:27 pm

Emma is right, the stuff is gamma radiated, here's 1 example of many to be found on google

http://www.seapets.co.uk/search-results ... ategory=17

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:21 pm

angelfish83 wrote:Gamma irradiated? I doubt that. I'm pretty sure its ultraviolet radiated
Here is a link to one of our main suppliers of gamma irradiated frozen foods: http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/aquarium-food.asp

The Kapenta Kid

Post by The Kapenta Kid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Most LFS here in Brussels sell live bloodworms. They are only available on Fridays and Saturdays from which I assume the wholesale producer has his batches ready on these dates. I have used them for years without any problem. I doubt if they would be sold so widely if they were disease hosts. Maybe fish-food quality worms are produced more hygenically than bait worms.
What is sure, the fish go into feeding frenzy over them compared to frozen worms.

adampetherick

Post by adampetherick » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:58 pm

I went to another fish shop the other day to get bloodworms as my local one had run out, this shop had live ones on the counter but they looked tiny! Fish seem happy enough with frozen anyway

midman

Post by midman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:28 am

Isn't bloodworm just red mosquito larvae. i would be surprised if a fishing shop stocked bloodworm as I know it. As a fisherman myself the only bloodworms I used to get were literally that - the small bloodworms.

A little ironic that 2 fish keepers are fishermen. i wonder how many other people catch fish too!! :wink:
All weeks run up to Friday - but how quickly can you sprint from Monday.

The Kapenta Kid

Post by The Kapenta Kid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:04 pm

I think you are correct. Fish food bloodworms are small, less than 1/4 inch long larvae of non-bloodsucking midges. Maybe bait bloodworms are different.
I love fishing for food when I can get the chance. Drifting over a silent hill loch where the brown trout are jumping and fooling them with your fly. Rowing out into the firth at dawn to catch mackerel and sillocks to be split and fried in butter and oatmeal for breakfast. Yum, yum.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:37 pm

Yes, I'll confirm that bait bloodworms are different creatures than the ones sold by fish stores to feed to aquarium fish. The LFS ones are tiny larvae. Bait bloodworms are large, I just cut one up for bait yesterday and it was about 12 inches (30 cm) long. They aren't all that long but they can be. They can bite, too. I wouldn't put one in my tank just for the sake of the pollution. They're called bloodworms for the obvious reason--they are very bloody. Its kind of funny that this comes up while I'm on vacation and doing a little fishing. :)