Worries about Clown Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Katlan

Worries about Clown Loach

Post by Katlan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:51 am

We purchased a large Clown Loach about 3 weeks ago after spotting him on his own in a tank at our local fish shop. When we got him home he was very shy and not at all interactive with our other clown loaches. We figured it might have been to do with the fact that the rest are quite small. So we found him a bigger friend. He came out of hiding and they played and had a grand old time. But then he just stopped again. No playing, no eating, just hiding all the time.

The water parameters are great, no ammonia or nitrites, nitrates are 5ppm. PH and temp are set to their preferred ranges. He has hiding spots all over the tank so he doesn't need to worry when he's out and about. There is plenty of flow. 7 loaches all up and some rosy barbs as dither fish. We've tried dimming lights inside the tank and switching them off altogether.

We're feeding pellets, blood worms, zucchini, peas, cucumber etc. No interest.

Do you have any other ideas I can try? Thanks :)

redshark1

Re: Worries about Clown Loach

Post by redshark1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Sometimes they are like that and there is no explanation that I know of. My advice is to simply be patient.

For example we may not be around to see it when they fall out (I have seen relationships between mine change occasionally).

Yes, check everything you are doing and strive for a good maintenance regime but don't fret that the fish don't always (or ever!) do as you want. They are not machines and they have their own free will.

During the 21 years I have had mine there have been phases of no show from my Clown Loaches.

After the last phase a year ago they suddenly became confident again and now all come out when they think it is feeding time (which they accurately determine to be 6pm). If I am late feeding them I use this cue to stop what I am doing and attend to them.

Generally mine retreat to their boudouirs although there is usually one or two out searching for food. They all come out at morning and evening feeding times though.

There was also a phase when they stayed in an ornament for two weeks and I didn't see them at all. Now just imagine that if you can? How would that make you feel? I was so worried but felt totally in the wrong when I intruded on their privacy to check on them (they were fine).

Also there has been a strange phase when they fed from the water's surface every morning (on the dither food). But no longer does this take place.

Go figure~!

I convinced myself that my increased aeration and temperature (80-82F) helped them to be more outgoing along with dither fish but I don't know for sure.

Do you feel better now?

Can others tell their stories to calm our worries?
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:06 pm

This seems normal.
Younger clown loaches don't normally hide especially if the entire bunch is young. Older ones tend to spend more time in their hiding place and the older clown loaches get, the more they have a routine when they are out and when not.
If you feed yours at the same time of day, they soon learn to be out and about around this hour and even 2-3 hours around that time till they are fed :lol:

I too saved an older clown loach a few years back. He's a loner too and never really clicked with the rest but he's out with them every morning waiting to be fed like the rest. But he never ever "slept" with the bunch who hides together in a different side of the tank. I had to even move them to a different tank a few months back and the big clown loach still found a lonely place for himself only.

Katlan

Post by Katlan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:35 pm

Thank you both so much for replying. It's very much appreciated. I really do love these little guys and want them to be happy.

Unfortunately, it looks like we are going to lose this particular one. If he was just hiding, but sneaking out at night to feed, that would be fine, but he's not eating at all. He's lost about half of his body weight so far. I've tried a ton of different foods so it's really just up to him now. His colour is still very good, but he was such a chubby little thing when we got him, it's sad to see him wither away. We've altered his hiding spot slightly so the other loaches can get in there with him and they'll rub up against him and all snuggle together and he seems comfortable with that. Anyway, up to him now. We've also treated for ich and parasites over the last couple of weeks just in case, but no change.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:22 am

I am really sorry to hear that.

Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25311