Yo-yo, clowns and red tail botia

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

glv

Yo-yo, clowns and red tail botia

Post by glv » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:11 am

Hi,
I was wondering if yo-yos, clowns and red tail botia would be ok together. Tank is heavily planted (which they will probably unplant) and has hiding places. Yo-yo are tiny (inch or less) and clowns and red tail botia are about 2.5 inches. Thanks.

Greek

Re: Yo-yo, clowns and red tail botia

Post by Greek » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 am

I'm sure they can live together without problems. But the important thing is the tank size. In exclusion of S. helodes those are the most massive species of Botiidae. For a long term care for a three shoals of them it should be at least 8 feet long.

Sharkscott2

Post by Sharkscott2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:17 am

Glv,

Just for clarification when you say Red Tailed Botia do you mean Syncrossus Helodes which Greek refers to or Yasuhikotakia modesta. Red Tailed Botia means Y. Modesta to me, probably because that is what my LFS labels them as. And in my experience they are much more common than S. Helodes.

Or maybe you were thinking of another species.

Greek

Post by Greek » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Sharkscott2 wrote:Glv,

Just for clarification when you say Red Tailed Botia do you mean Syncrossus Helodes which Greek refers to or Yasuhikotakia modesta. Red Tailed Botia means Y. Modesta to me, probably because that is what my LFS labels them as. And in my experience they are much more common than S. Helodes.

Or maybe you were thinking of another species.
No no :D I was talking about those three species (clown, YoYo and modesta) and I tried to say that those three are the most massive from all botias in exclusion of S. helodes (so I meant that helodes is more massive, but we skip it there) :) Red Tailed Botia must be of course modesta :)
Maybe I formed this sentence inproperly - I'm sorry if so :( English isn't my first language. If You can, I'll be happy when You correct me - I'm always eager to learn :)

Sharkscott2

Post by Sharkscott2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:05 pm

I see what you were getting at Greek. I think I read your post too quickly, saw S. Helodes, and thought, "Hey, what are we talking about again"???

I didn't know S.Helodes got so big. I think I saw them once and passed. Good thing, I don't have that kind of room.