unknown breed small catfish loach and khuli compatibility?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mars99

unknown breed small catfish loach and khuli compatibility?

Post by mars99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:26 pm

hello, I am 22 and after years of absence from last having a tropical tank that my father got me, I decided I wanted to start again and ive set up a 60 liter tank (maybe a little bit more) tropical, and have everything set and running, i got my first few fish to start with about 4 or 5 days ago, im introducing everything gradually, and so far its good, I have 4 male guppies (females to be added this weekend) 6 neon tetras and this unknown silver catfish loach thing, I have a rubbish camera and i have tried for half an hour to get a pic of it but I cant, its very active and fast, and likes to whizz around, especially on the glass in a loop, its silver with a gleamy tinge in light, a plain seethrough (ish) tail and fins and little short whiskers, my question is I want 2 khuli loaches (preferably black khuli which I had in my last tank which was a peaceful and entertaining little loach, or the striped ones ) I am planning on getting two to start with as they know they are best kept in groups, and will probably add another 1 or 2 later on my question is, are these loaches going to be compatible with my catfishy loach thing (I wish I knew the breed to tell you) maybe someone will know, and my neons and guppies? Im also thinking later on of adding black mollies, an albino shark, swordfish and maybe some platys, and a single small angelfish (which I know is usuallly peaceful but can be territorial and nippy) do you think they will get on well thanks, ashaleen.

mars99

Re: unknown breed small catfish loach and khuli compatibilit

Post by mars99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:42 pm

** after research I think it may be a silver loach but not 100 percent sure

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:48 pm

I do not know what the silver loach/catfish is. Here is a link to the species index here at Loaches. There is a picture- index you could go through, perhaps figure out which loach it is.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/lo ... front-page

The rest of your list is too many fish for that small tank.

Research the optimum water parameters and start omitting fish that are not compatible.
For example, Mollies are hard water fish that prefer high temperatures.
Neons are soft water fish that prefer a cooler tank.

Make sure the temperature and hardness requirements are similar.

I do a lot of research here:

http://seriouslyfish.com/
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mars99

Post by mars99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:12 pm

thanks for the advice, atm they have tonnes of room and they are doing great, I will research the water suited, I have a heater in atm, Ill find out the temp, I think the loach catfish may be a Yasuhikotakia eos

Greek

Post by Greek » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:54 pm

If it is Y. eos it can quickly become aggresive. The fact that You have only one specimen will boost this effect.
As Diana said You have to check the water parameters requirements of Your fish. Those guppies which You have, require alkaline and hard water. All Botiidae loaches and pangios, which You want to buy, need soft water with acidic pH. Neon tetras are not compatible with fast and big loaches - they will be just scared :( If it is 'Innesi' it is also not compatible with pangios, which have to live in warm water - Innesi neon tetras like cool temperatures.