Tank raised Clown loach lifespan?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Hainguyen

Tank raised Clown loach lifespan?

Post by Hainguyen » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:41 pm

Does anyone know if tank raised Clown Loach will live up to 50 years like wild caught? Anyone keeping Tank Raised clown loach that currently live up to 20+ years?

Curtis

Re: Tank raised Clown loach lifespan?

Post by Curtis » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Tank raised Clown loaches are relatively new. Given that they haven't been around for 20 years, no one will have 20 year old tank raised clowns. It's possible a breeder that was working on breeding clowns in a tank may have some but I doubt they are reading the forum.

I don't know the answer to your question. But, if I were trying to find the answer I would look at other fish that have been wild caught vs tank raised that have been around a long time to give you a reference point of lifespan of tank raised vs wild caught.

In theory tank raised may do better do to their hopefully less parasite load.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu May 05, 2016 12:21 am

I have about 20 tank raised clowns that I've had for 10+ years. They seem a bit small or stunted compared to my large wild caught clowns. Whether thats due to enviroment or dna, who knows? I expect them to live just as long.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:51 pm

My fish have been tank raised from approximately 1 year old up to 22 years old.

I say tank raised as to me this means raised in a tank. Sorry to put it bluntly but that is clear to me.

I believe they came from the wild and were not captive bred.

I have seen captive bred fish and they were not pretty to me. They appeared misshapen and the stripe patterns were not consistent.

I know of nobody with Clown Loaches of 50 years old.

From my research I find that they very rarely reach into their 20s.

I am in touch with a couple of people who claim to have Clown Loaches older than mine. There are not many around.

How many owners are you in touch with that have Clown Loaches of this age and do you have their contact details so I can converse with them please?
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Hainguyen

Post by Hainguyen » Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 am

There's a guy i know here selling fish at his house and he have 5 clown loaches 18 years old. They're about 7-10 inches. I was very amaze to see them big, very active, and didn't lose their color.