Help finding more Pangio myersi?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Crimzonian

Help finding more Pangio myersi?

Post by Crimzonian » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:11 pm

I have one Pangio myersi in a planted tank with nine other Pangio loaches that are probably either a mix of semicinta/kuhlii, or all are one of those(ID is tricky for these, how do I distinguish between the two for sure?) I've been looking in local shops and browsing aquabid and ebay for a year for myersi, but no luck. Not even the shop I bought this loach from knows how to get more. I contacted Wetspot, but they have not responded. What other online retailers that ship to California are worth asking?

I'm giving up hope that my lonely myersi will ever have friends. The other Pangio loaches all sniff about the planted tank constantly and fearlessly, but my big myersi just sits in his cave all day...The only time I have seen him recently was when moving the driftwood cave a few inches over to plant some stems in that spot. I am worried about him. I really want to see him come out and not be scared. The myersi was sold to me as a kuhli about a year and a half ago and while I noticed this one had bigger darker bands than any I'd seen, I just thought a kuhli was a kuhli at the time. I didn't know there were different species back then. I wish I did, because there were other loaches in that tank when I bought mine. I could have bought more that looked like him...

gulogulo

Re: Help finding more Pangio myersi?

Post by gulogulo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:42 am

They have been scarce lately, I saw them in shops around here a few months ago and they had been somewhat frequent last fall. I have two that I got last winter but have only seen them one time since (they had just come in and I wasn't going straight home so passed and they were gone when I went back). Loaches tend to be sporadic in their appearance and there is a seasonality to them since almost all are wild caught.

While your lone myersi may not come out as often, having other eel loaches in the tank will make it feel more secure, I have a tank where I put my low numbered eel loach species and they were active with others somewhat similar, I had my 2 myersi, 1 shelfordi, and 2 doriae. They were often out and about, I have since moved the myersi and the shelfordi to a different tank and I don't see the doriae as often so I might move them all back together again.

As for determining whether you have semicincta or kuhlii, nobody seems to know. I have been trying to parse that out with the 8 that I have and cannot find any definitive information on how to differentiate. One recent study suggests that they may be one species based on DNA testing. If you find any information I would love to look at it. I will be trying a project to breed them in a specially designed tank when I have time to build so knowing whether or not I am creating hybrids would be good.

Your best bet to find myersi is to be on the look out at the local shops and let them know you are looking, I know that my LFS owner has a standing list of loaches I want if he can get them. Be patient they will appear again, I have been waiting over ten years to find forktail loaches again (still waiting) and waited about ten years between moose faced loach sightings.
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

Crimzonian

Post by Crimzonian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:25 am

I went in to a local shop and found they actually had some Pangio cuneovirgata, to my surprise. This is probably the rarest Pangio I've seen yet. They are so tiny and cute! They only had two left, though. I want to get them...Would they feel at home with a group of larger loaches? I have an angelfish just about a year old, do you think he would try to eat the tiny loaches when he grows up? I think they are small enough that he might eat them like spaghetti, with New Life Spectrum pellets as meatballs...

I also want to try breeding some of these species later one. Not any time soon, though. I only have two tanks and likely won't get more until I have a better place. Renting a room in a house doesn't go well with this hobby. :(

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:41 am

I am not sure I would trust an angelfish with those small Pangios. I have angelfish less than a year old that would definitely try to eat them but mine are already breeding (I have lots of tanks and feed them lots to grow quickly).

I would love to get P. cuneovirgata, I have never seen them for sale. If I were you I would get them and find a place for them, who knows when you will see them again. They should do fine with the other Pangios.

Alternatively, you could buy them and ship them to me :D :D , I'd take care of them for you :wink: 8)
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:22 pm

My LFS just got a couple dozen Pangio myersi so check yours, they might be available again. I will probably pick some up soon.