PURIGEN VS. NITRAZORB

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

PURIGEN VS. NITRAZORB

Post by FranM » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi.

I'd been successfully using NitraZorb for over a year. I swear I got defective packages because a few weeks ago I replaced old pouches with two new ones but they didn't touch the nitrate they've been handling for over a year. Because my tank bio load is heavy I use two of the largest (#6) pouches in my 55 gallon freshwater tank.

I complained to API and they're in the process of sending me new pouches. Now I fear a recurrence and was looking into other alternatives which lead me to Purigen. My concern is that it says that it controls ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. But if it's eating ammonia how does this not effect the nitrifying bacteria in the filter media? The filter media needs ammonia to survive correct? Does Purigen take the place of filter media? Will it have any real effect on reducing nitrates? I will of course use more than the prescribed amount. Many people are raving about the clarity of their water using Purigen but I'm not interested in clearing water. I just want a low nitrate habitat. Thank you for explaining.

Fran

FranM

Re: PURIGEN VS. NITRAZORB

Post by FranM » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:20 pm

After a phone call to Seachem it seems Purigen isn't going to be that helpful for me in keeping nitrates low. Matrix was suggested to me which I have and I didn't find that effective. Meantime two new Nitrazorbs arrived in the mail so I will use those and I added Matrix for the hell of it. I put more than the recommended dose and hope to see a significant result in a few weeks.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Hey Fran! How's it going?

Well, Fran, it's going great!! Brand new factory Nitrazorbs have brought the nitrates down to....under 5ppm. Practically zip!! I have Matrix in as well but I doubt the Matrix would act that quickly. Eventually I will remove a piece of media at a time to determine which is the one doing the job.

Thanks for asking, Fran!

Anytime, Fran.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Sorry no one answered you Fran but I appreciate the sentiment, lol.

Way back in the day, more than 20 years ago, we used Chemipure but didn't test for, well, anything much. The water seemed clearer & fish happier, so we liked it. It "may" be similar to Nitrizorb resin but I don't know. Isn't Matrix just a ceramic bits-type product, good for bacteria to grow on & maybe some large particle trapping but nothing more? I could be wrong...to me nothing reduces nitrates better than water changes...unless you have high nitrate in your tap water. It might be cheaper in the long run to do RO (reverse osmosis) filter for at least some tap water if you do.

I have used Purigen only once or twice but not enough to give any good (or bad) feedback...I did like the idea of being able to renew it's effectiveness. I may still have it somewhere...

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:05 am

Sorry I didn't reply because I don't know about these products and am confused why they would be needed anyway and was wary of annoying you by asking.

Have you high levels in your tap water?
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:55 pm

LOL. Thanks, Redshark.

I miss my redtail black shark so much. When I get the BIG tank, another will be there.

So I have an overpopulated 55 gallon and I believe that is why the nitrates are ridiculous. My tap water is zero. I perform 50% water changes every 7-10 days. I can't rely on just those. I siphon gravel too each time and rinse filter media. So I needed extra help because within days nitrates would be 40. I think the Matrix will be useless but the Nitrazorb has been a Godsend. I really think I got duds from Amazon but the new ones from API have kept nitrates at zero for a week. It's about 5 as of yesterday. And yes the Martrix are large pieces of bio media but the claim is they have so much area that they will be able to absorb nitrate. We shall see. After a few weeks I will remove one Nitrazorb and daily test the nitrates and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Fran

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Fran, sounds like you are ready for a larger tank, or split the population between 2 tanks.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi Diana.

Last thing I would want to do is run two 55's and take care of two plus there's nowhere to put another. I hate that the quarters are so close but at least the water quality is very good and that's the most important thing. I actually have another 55 sitting in my basement. My plan is to try to get something for it to put towards a larger tank. I actually have two 29's as well. I hate to part with anything. And the 55 in the basement was free and is in better shape than my present tank which has a small chip in the glass. Figure I can do a little better selling the good one.

Sighhh. Thank you.