HOMEMADE GEL FOOD

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

BlueLoach

HOMEMADE GEL FOOD

Post by BlueLoach » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi there,

I know there are a lot of homemade food recipes available. I found one on a FB post and have modified it slightly to my preferences. Just wanted to verify that it looks okay. The items with a asterisk in front are what I'm planning on using. I would like to possibly add some frozen foods from the fish store but not sure about it. Mainly because it will get cooked in the process. Any thoughts? Also, should I cook the seafood or leave it raw? Should I leave the shells on the shrimp? I plan on freezing the extra. Anything I'm missing?

*Vita-chem
*Garlic
*Spirulina powder
*Paprika

*Zucchini
*Yellow squash
*Spinach
*Peas
*Carrots
*Green beans
*Broccoli
Romaine lettuce
Red pepper
Cucumber

*Shrimp (from the grocery store)
*Mussels
Gammarus shrimp (Hikari frozen)
Bloodworms
PE mysis shrimp
Brine shrimp
Krill
Daphnia

veggie/beef gelatin or agar-agar

Mix it all in a blender then put it in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add the vege-gel, pour into a tray and let set.

Use 5 vege-gel to just over 4 pints of liquid

NancyD

Re: HOMEMADE GEL FOOD

Post by NancyD » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 pm

When I made seafood mix & beefheart for my very spoiled discus, I tried fresh clams, scallops, fish & veggies (I can't remember all). Beefheart was an effort, too gross for any but the most treasured fish. Loaches loved the seafood but were not crazy about beefheart, they ate it...most times.

You have many more ingredients than I used, but I did feed several of those foods separately. I think it's all good to try. I froze batches in flat freezer bags & broke off "serving" size pieces.

BlueLoach

Re: HOMEMADE GEL FOOD

Post by BlueLoach » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

Oh yes, I have no desire to try beefheart. I'm going to stick with seafood. I made it Tuesday and let it chill overnight. I gave them some yesterday and they went nuts!! They love the Repashy I've been using but they like this even more. Based on their feeding response, I think they liked this almost more than bloodworms :) My biggest fear with doing homemade food is making sure they are getting all of the nutrition they need.