"Peppered Loach" Identification

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaysoncooper

"Peppered Loach" Identification

Post by kaysoncooper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Hello all, I recently purchased three loaches all sold as "Peppered Dojo Loaches" but upon getting home and looking at the individuals closely I believe that they are actually different species. Does anyone have any ideas on the species? I've looked through the library and have a few guesses but I'm still not certain and I want to make sure that my current aquarium set up is appropriate for them. Thanks in advance. Photos in link: https://goo.gl/photos/rSGF8kLVGeM1N27b6

Diana

Re: "Peppered Loach" Identification

Post by Diana » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:39 am

I have gotten some, and had the same problem with ID.

Care is essentially the same:
They like high oxygen water which usually means stream-like conditions, though it does not have to be quite as extreme as the hillstream loach set up described here:
http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstr ... -fast-lane
I have filters and powerheads combined to create about 20 times the tank volume per hour. Mine are in a 50 gallon tank, so about 1000 gph combined water flow. Somewhat cooler than most tropical fish- upper 60s to low 70s F (high teens to low 20s C). Not fussy eaters, they like frozen foods, will also eat sinking carnivore foods such as the pellets I get from:
http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/
... such as Earthworm Pellets and others.
I have seen mine swimming higher in the water, but this is rare. Generally they stay closer to the bottom. Some logs and rocks to hide under seem to be appreciated.
All my tanks are planted, they do not bother the plants.
They are not predatory toward other fish. White Cloud Minnows, any of several Danios and similar fish make good tank mates. Fish that thrive in cooler water and are OK with more than average water movement.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

kaysoncooper

Post by kaysoncooper » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks, I had planned on having them in my 30 gallon tropical tank, but it sounds like they would be better suited for my 75 gallon coldwater tank with my weather loaches.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 am

or you could start up another tank...
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:23 am

Which is Always a good idea :mrgreen: