loaches and discus?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lunasmile

loaches and discus?

Post by lunasmile » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:14 pm

I am planning on getting a new 90 gallon tank, and I would like to get 3 Discus and I already have 3 clown loaches, is this a good combinaton?. thanks for the info. victoria.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:52 pm

I have young Clowns and young Discus in a 72 gal. bowfront. 3 of each. Temp 82*F, pH 6.5, KH 3.
Tank has oak bark that is still releasing tannins. Pool filter sand substrate, live plants. (Mostly Java Fern tied to the oak bark) Other tankmates include Brochis splendens, Prionobrama filigra, Farlowella sp., Honey Pleco, and Melanotaenia praecox.
I think the Tetras layed eggs, I rescued one fry out of the sump, but it is too young to tell if it is Tetra or Rainbow. The Plec and the Clowns came out of my big tank (125) when it leaked. I have no intention of leaving the Plec in the tank with the Discus!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

skids

Post by skids » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:27 pm

I'm one of the many poeple who do this against recommendations. I have a 75 long, with 5 clowns that are about 5" now and 5 discus which are now full size adults. They seem to get along. However I am haveing a problem with one pair trying to breed and another tank mate always eating the eggs. I know it's not the discus since when I put a gutter screen aroudn the breeding cone, the egg eater swam over the top of the screen and ate eggs at ngiht. These fish have been togtheer year now.

Dick Au who is one of the long time breeders, judges and authors asks folks not to mix Discus and clown loaches because the discus are diurnal while the clowns are nocturnal and he feels the discus are stressed by the large amounts of noctural acitivity. They also both compete for the same food, with the clowns always winning. I've concurr with this observation.
Skids

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:21 pm

YES!!!
you can put loaches in with discus, they're quite happy together and discus are one of my favorite fish! good luck with it, keep us updated. think about getting a bigger tank though...clowns would be much happier if they had two more buddies at least....
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...