Killer Clowns?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Kitishane

Killer Clowns?

Post by Kitishane » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:55 pm

I found this forum post on a different forum, and thought I'd share. I've never heard of this sort of behavior in clowns, so I was wondering if anyone had any sort of feedback, or had had a similar experience.

http://tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/vie ... hp?t=18801

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:09 pm

Clowns killed a barb in my tank. They did not eat him, and he deserved what happened to him too.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:31 pm

HERE is an article describing clowns eating other fish and what happened...

And HERE is the Practical Fishkeeeping article describing this controversial event.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

jacksmith

Re: Killer Clowns?

Post by jacksmith » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 pm

The orca (killer whales) eat everything in the sea, but tend to stay away from small fish reef ussaly because they are small and even piosonus but eating sharks, stingrays, barracudas etc.

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:49 pm

glad someone brought this back up. Last Wednesday I bought a clown loach (about 6") from the LFS. It had just been brought in by a guy with some other fish. He was moving and could not move his tank.

Today I found the loach dead; with fins nip and frayed. I really think that my other clowns killed him. How no idea why. They are the only ones big enough to do it.

What do y'all think?
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I don't have any similar experience. I've got fry half a cm long(0.2") and the clowns don't pay any attention to them. But I guess you never know. I just don't see why they'd kill one of their own. Possibly the clown loach just didn't acclimate well to the new conditions, too many moves in too short period of time, etc..It's impossible to know.

squid

Post by squid » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 am

I've also had clowns kill my prized Datnoid :(
the datnoid was a little smaller than the clowns, and everytime i feed him the clowns also went after him.
I found my datnoid's side injured and I'm thinking the clowns could be the culprits, or my flagtail which was really big but it'll have a hard time sucking on a small dat. .