Is a Filstar XP3 (350 gph) overkill for a 55 gal.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ian

Is a Filstar XP3 (350 gph) overkill for a 55 gal.

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Just wondering if anybody can give me some insight into my thought that this filter would create to much water movement in my tank. Im a believer in the thinking that there is no such thing as to much filtration, but is it possible to have to much water moving in the tank. In addition, I am think of buying a sponge filter and switching my air hose to it. If I do this will it create a sufficient amount air flow into the tank.

shari

Post by shari » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:47 pm

what are you planning to keep in the tank? Sorry if you've already mentioned it, I missed it.

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Thanks for the reply

Right now I have four 4 inch clowns, an ID shark, a large bottom feeder, and 4 keyholes (not sure if that is the correct spelling).

I think we might have actually spoke regarding my problem with ich. After losing two clowns I am determined not to let it happen again so I want to get the best (economically) filtration for them.

shari

Post by shari » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:13 pm

The clowns will not mind the extra flow, but you should check out the other fish's needs. Here's a link for reviews of the Filstar you're looking at:

http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_filstar.php

The flow rates for most filters tend to overestimate the actual reality, ime. So you will likely get less than you are led to believe anyway. I have a Penn Plax 1000 filter rated for 265 gph on my 55. There are angelfish, catfish, tetras and loaches in the tank. Even the angels manage to find space with low enough flow to lay eggs.

S

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:21 pm

You wouldnt know of any reliable sites to find fish info on would you?

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi Ian and welcome to LOL. I've used an XP3 on a 55 and even had killifish in there. It's a great filter IMO.

We share the same opinions on filters. Never too much. The only caveat on that is what you keep,
i.e. will they be comfortable in a current.. With the bioload it seems you have in that tank you really need a filter with this sort of oomph.

To be honest the ID shark has to go. This species gets too big for any regular aquarium and in my opinion their sale should be banned :roll: A 55 is way too small and also will be too small for your clowns in the not too distant future.

Whereabouts in Canada eh?

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks for that...

You are right about the clowns, I plan to hand them over to a friend with a 110 gallon when they get to big. However, I had no idea about the ID shark, thanks for that, I will have to look into a suitable home for it when it gets to big. In your opinion will the flow severly limit the type of fish and plants I will be able to stock. In addition, would you happen to have an answer to my sponge filter vs. air stone question earlier in the post.

I hope I am not bothering you folks to much but I really value some first hand knowledge on this type of stuff.

Ow... I am from North Bay Ontario, four hours north of Toronto

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:38 pm

Sorry Martin I did not realize you were from Toronto... hahaha

So where do you go in Toronto for your fish/tank needs?

newshound

Post by newshound » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:09 pm

hey a shop in sudbury is good too.
I think it is called the ark.
Best LFS in the north IMO
drain your pool!

shari

Post by shari » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:43 pm

And another thing to remember is to be sure to take some of the filter media from the cycled filter and use it in whatever new filter you get. Otherwise, you may face a cycling tank since most of the beneficial bacteria in a tank will be in the filter (sponges especially).

As for links for fish info, google the names of your fishes and see what you get :wink:

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:00 pm

there is a good fish site at www.fishgeeks.com.

That is where I learned all I know about fish keeping. Sorry guys, just found this site when I wanted to know more about keeping a yoyo loach.

:oops:
Nanc

One YoYo in a 20g hi with 9 cory and cherry shrimp
10g with SAE,Oto,2 Platy
5g with snails and momma shrimp

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:31 pm

Ian wrote:Sorry Martin I did not realize you were from Toronto... hahaha

So where do you go in Toronto for your fish/tank needs?
Depends. Different places fulfill different needs. I will use Big Als branches if I'm passing and need something. Generally for fish, because I have unusual tastes I will go the The Menagerie Petshop on Parliament Street. General Petshop, but the fish department is run by Harold Slater who is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable proprieters you could wish to meet. Because he knows fish, he gets in unusual species. He doesn't so much have customers as clientel.

Newshound has been there actually, so I'm sure he'll verify the cool selection of fish......amazing for plants too.

Regarding your sponge filter/ airline question. I guess you're talking about an air-powered sponge filter, where air movement draws water through the sponge element? These are quite good biological and mechanical filters ideally suited to low bioload tanks. Also as easy maintenance filters in breeding setups with baby fish.

A common misconception of the bubbles is that they aerate the water by small amounts of oxygen dissolving from the surface of the bubble. This probably happens to some extent, but by far their largest contribution is bringing water up from low level to the surface where gaseous exchange can take place with the atmosphere. A good high turnover filter that causes some surface movement will have the same effect. Adding a sponge filter as an auxiliary won't truly change the "aeration" level.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:32 pm

thanks Martin

So would you say a canister filter would meet all of my aeration needs

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:44 pm

Hi Ian,
The filstar xp3 cansister is a good one. Like martin said loaches will like the current , but the rest well he covered that.
With media the flow will be alot less than the rated 350gph. Some canister spec's are measured with no media in the filter which is misleading. Actually alot of eheims are really only puting out 60% of the rated flow. That said they are rock solid filters and flow is not as important as media capacity is.
.Good filter media imo is foam first, some ceramic bio noodles or rings and then floss for polishing as the last stage.
One thing to note is that the filstar xp1,2,3 series filters are known for having some noise issues and erroneous bubble spewing.
If the tank needs to be quiet and eheim filter would be a better choice.
To help with aireation you can mount the spray bar very close to the surface for lots of water/air exchange. A bubble wall could help too.
Java ferns really like current as they feed out of the water column and would
be a good choice. Also loaches don't java ferns.

Cheers
Erik
16G bent corner planted ,pressurized Co2, turbotwist 9w, jebo 828 , 36 led

loachaholic

Post by loachaholic » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Erik wrote:One thing to note is that the filstar xp1,2,3 series filters are known for having some noise issues and erroneous bubble spewing.
If the tank needs to be quiet and eheim filter would be a better choice.
I own Filstar filters and can verify that. They are not entirely silent and do have the occasional belch. However, they have so far been reliable and are WAY easier to clean than most canisters I've owned.