Is a Filstar XP3 (350 gph) overkill for a 55 gal.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:56 pm

Well hopefully it wont be 2 loud b/c I just ordered one off of petsandponds.com

Im really excited to get it setup, I think it will bring my filtration to a new level. Right now I only have two aquaclears set up and they are really not doing the job

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:31 pm

I have an XP3 on a 45 gallon lowend brackish tank, and the water level is low in that tank (for a mudskipper). The filter does not create too much water movement, and is quiet. I had the spray bar above the water surface, and that drove the bubbles under the water and into the filter, so it will belch in that set up.
I also have Fluval 404s on several 45 gallon tanks, and again, it is not too much water movement, and it plenty of filtration.

For good fish ID, try www.fishbase.org
For catfish, try www.planetcatfish.com
For loaches... you are already here!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:55 am

loachaholic wrote:
Erik wrote:One thing to note is that the filstar xp1,2,3 series filters are known for having some noise issues and erroneous bubble spewing.
If the tank needs to be quiet and eheim filter would be a better choice.
I own Filstar filters and can verify that. They are not entirely silent and do have the occasional belch. However, they have so far been reliable and are WAY easier to clean than most canisters I've owned.
My experience of these is from August 2001. I've found that occasionally belching bubbles can be caused by semi blockage by plant debris of the intake strainer. They have such a strong suck that restriction to flow causes a negative pressure in the intake tubing. Something has to give, so the seal on the tap head will bleed air around itself to relieve the negative pressure. Then, the air is in the system and gets into the impeller. Big whoosh and spitting noises if the spraybar is below the water surface. And it cycles as the pressure is relieved then builds up again.

Speaking of spraybars and noise, I find the best compromise for surface agitation and noise reduction is to put the spraybar under water around 2" down. Set the outlet holes at a horizontal level and then just rotate upwards very slightly. This causes surface rippling with associated good surface gas exchange, bit is silent. You only have to watch when you are doing water-changes if you leave the filter on. Once the spraybar surfaces the water spraying out may come out of the tank if the angle is too high.
Having the spraybay above water makes for waterfall noises. That sounds nice for a day, then becomes very annoying.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

fusQer

Post by fusQer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:26 am

i just got my filstar xp3 from bigalsonline (95 shipped) for my 55g. i dont know if they've corrected issues from 2001 when another poster said his was loud, but mine is extremely quiet, my hang on back penguin 330 is definently louder. no belching issues either, yet. its brand new, we'll see what happens. i have a planted tank so my spraybar points a little below horizontal 3" under the surface