Recent discovery of European Cave Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

redshark1

Recent discovery of European Cave Loach

Post by redshark1 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39446505

I found this article very interesting. The Stone Loach Nemachaelis barbatus is the only wild loach in my local waters. It looks like the Cave Loach may be derived from it. I took the pic of a local Stone Loach below (note that this specimen has a chunk of the caudal fin missing).

6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

atmichaels

Re: Recent discovery of European Cave Loach

Post by atmichaels » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun May 21, 2017 7:58 pm

That is cool! It seems like caves would have a more stable temperature than surface water so it's no wonder to me that the new loaches would be found farther north of other similar species. With all the DNA comparisons possible these days, I bet scientists will be able to say definitively soon-ish. Are there other species of stone loaches in England vs continental Europe? I haven't looked yet...I just wish there were NA loaches, lol.

Thanks, redshark!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon May 22, 2017 2:43 am

In the Netherlands, we have 3 species of laoches - the large loach Misgurnis fossilis, the small loach, Cobitis taenia and "het bermpje" Barbatula barbatula. I thouth it was Noemocheilus barbatula, but that apart.

As far as I know, in north western Europe these 3 species, and no more, are found

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 pm

There is only one other loach (making that two) in Britain. This is the Spined Loach Cobitis taenia.

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/ProtectedSites ... Code=S1149

I believe this loach feeds by attracting food particles to sticky mucus which it extrudes from it's mouth and re-ingests.

I am familiar with the Stone Loach which is fairly common in unpolluted waters (though unpolluted waters themselves are not that common). It is a lovely fish and I kept a trio for several years before releasing them to concentrate on other species.

However, I am not familiar with the Spined Loach which is very rare and which only frequents a handful of rivers which were once joined to the Rhine river system.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 pm

Oh, I had forgotten about both M. fossilis & cobitis. Thanks guys, it's easy to forget another continent's natives, oops.