Is my Dojo Loach paralyzed?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

aprill85

Is my Dojo Loach paralyzed?

Post by aprill85 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:01 pm

I know this probably sounds crazy, but I think one of my Dojos have been paralyzed during an ich treatment. We got an outbreak of Ich in our 55gal tank. I did some research and found a product that claims to be safe on scale less fish (Kordon Rid Ich Plus). We got rid of the Ich fairly easily, however, one of my four Dojo loaches now seems paralyzed from his top fin back. It has been 3 months and he is still very much alive. He eats, poops, and moves around the tank. The odd part is that he cannot swim except for circles. His head tucks into his body and around he goes. He's now learned how to move on his bottom fins, but he can't swim and hasn't grown since. His twin has passed him waaay up. Is anyone familiar with this or have any advice on what the deal is or if he's in pain? Anything is appreciated. :P

Diana

Re: Is my Dojo Loach paralyzed?

Post by Diana » Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 pm

I have not heard of Kordon Rid Ich causing this.
I have heard of similar injuries from fish fighting, especially if they butt into the other fish as a means of attack. That sort of attack can injure internal organs, or cause other injuries, depending on where the victim is hit.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

aprill85

Post by aprill85 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm

His tank mates are mollies, danios, black skirt tetras, a dwarf pleco, one angel fish who is very dossile, and sword tails. None of the fish in my aquarium are very aggressive. The tetras dart at food, but that is at the top and I feed my dojo sink in food. I don't really think they would have caused this injury since I don't see them darting after other fish.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 26, 2017 9:08 am

Skirts and Angels can be a bit aggressive, but only under certain circumstances.
Angels are usually only aggressive when they are paired up and breeding. A single Angel might be a bit pushy if it is a male and he is staking out a spot hoping for a female. Under these conditions I could see the Angel attacking any other species of fish that dares entering his territory.
Skirt Tetras are usually not aggressive, but might get a little pushy toward each other. I don't see them attacking a Dojo Loach.

Have you done any more research about the products you have used in the aquarium? Might be helpful to check out all the products, see if there are any problems in combination.

Happy fish keeping!

aprill85

Post by aprill85 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Other than the Rid Ich (which we no longer use) we only used aquarium salt, API water conditioner an when needed, melafix. No other fish or dojos have any issues. I wish I could get a video of him swimming.

aprill85

Post by aprill85 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Well, just for an update, the little guy is doing great! He's started swimming way more smoothly and has even began to grow again. Im not sure what happened, but I have certainly learned my lesson when using chemicals with these scaleless guys. Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Most Loaches do not do well with sodium chloride in the water. They are fresh water fish.

Happy fish keeping!