Interesting Yoyo Behavior

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Interesting Yoyo Behavior

Post by FranM » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am

I inherited a pair of yoyos that I didn't want, but that I'm caring for and watching them thrive--hopefully MUCH longer than my last trio did (another story).

I've seen strange loach behavior but one of them has me baffled. Both are very young loaches and one was especially skinny and rather drab in color. The other has been extremely active and full of color. SOME days the skinny one is very active, full of color, eating heartily. The next day it will be hidden and when it comes out it's very light colored to the point you can almost see the pale pink of its inside its body.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Diana

Re: Interesting Yoyo Behavior

Post by Diana » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 am

I think that has to do with a social issue.
Some fish arrange themselves in a dominant/submissive social structure.
Usually:
The dominant fish eats first, lives in the best caves (or whatever is appropriate for the species), and gets the girls (if any). In most species the dominant fish is the male, and will show the brightest colors.
The submissive fish usually stays away from the dominant fish, eats the leftovers, and takes on paler colors or (in species where males and females are different colors) will look more like a female.

The usual remedy for this is to keep this sort of fish in a larger social group.
Then the dominant fish will have more fish to boss around, so spends less time harassing any one fish, and the lower ranking fish can hang out together and so might be just a bit bolder, more willing to come out and eat.

Keeping them in a larger tank may help, if the dominant fish is not actively seeking out the submissive fish, but simply is claiming the whole tank. In a larger tank the dominant fish might only claim a small area, and allow the submissive fish to have the other area.
In a smaller tank there is not enough room for the submissive fish to get out of the way of the dominant fish. He cannot go away far enough. The dominant fish thinks the submissive fish is hanging around nearby getting ready to challenge him, so stays in the more dominant/aggressive mood and does not calm down. The submissive fish recognizes this and stays out of his way and takes on the submissive coloring to try to communicate that he is not a threat.
e
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:05 pm

That thought crossed my mind that I had a dominant and submissive. But the tank is 55 gallons. Plenty of room for both. I will keep an eye out. If you recall I didn’t want to add ANYthing new to my tank after the yoyo trio death but my fiancé felt so bad for me and surprised me with the two new little ones.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Are there plenty of caves or arches of wood or other places for them each to claim, and for the submissive one to get out of the line of site of the dominant one?
If you can set up something like that you can then start to target feed each one in his (or her) favorite spot. Perhaps at opposite ends of the tank. Then the submissive one may have a chance to eat a bit more without being bothered by the dominant one.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:33 am

The other will always come out at feedings and when I’m feeding bloodworms, for example, I make sure to shake the cube so lots of pieces fall. There are some big characters in there—the clowns and silver dollars. I fear a little one will get nipped accidentally during a feeding frenzy. To distract the silvers I put lettuce in first. There is the “clown cave” and another cave like structure in the tank, two sets of plastic plants that are dense which is where I find a yoyo in the corner of the tank of. Maybe I will put a very small other hiding place. I still have pvc pipe somewhere, but I hate the look. Will mix it in with plants. I mean when it’s out and about it looks good and healthy and has gained weight from day one. Thank you.