I need a loach, but not just any loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

I need a loach, but not just any loach

Post by 616 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 am

Hi people new to the forum and needing some help

I’ve been searching the internet for days looking for a loach that will be happy in a 80x36x50cm tank (144 litres)?
The tank water has a low reading of the various nasties And has a ph of around 7.4 , The tank has a constant tempeture of 20 Celsius and has a 200 litre internal canister filter for the tank fully cycled.

It has a smooth sand substrate with some tough live plants. It also has large smooth cobbles and pebbles with a large piece of driftwood

The tank has 10 x 3 spined sticklebacks, 9 x White Cloud Mountain minnows and 1 x Badis. Which I feed mostly on live food such as brine shrimp, daphnia, glassworms. I also feed frozen daphnia and two types of flake food.

The fish are all getting along great and only the Badis seems to be less confident, but I have read that that is the nature of Badis I believe.

I’d like to keep a single loach that eats at least baby snails, doesn’t attack other fish, won’t outgrow the tank. I’d be willing to keep 3 if I have no option and rehouse some of the sticklebacks

Really appreciate the time people

Oh the flow is moderate,

Diana

Re: I need a loach, but not just any loach

Post by Diana » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am

I do not know if there are any Loaches small enough to work in that set up, and large enough to eat snails.
Most Loaches are social fish and should be kept in groups.

How about keeping Loaches in another tank and baiting to catch the snails. Then toss the snails into the Loach tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Post by 616 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am

Diana wrote:I do not know if there are any Loaches small enough to work in that set up, and large enough to eat snails.
Most Loaches are social fish and should be kept in groups.

How about keeping Loaches in another tank and baiting to catch the snails. Then toss the snails into the Loach tank.
Hello
Thank you so much for the reply. Really appreciate it.

Yeah I thought as much regarding the difficulty of finding something. I think I’ll have to snail trap and go for some small bottom dwellers that don’t eat snails.

Looking forward to learning more about loaches

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Loaches are a lot of fun, lots of personality. Well worth some research then a special set up to suit the species you want.
Many work fine in a community tank.

Happy fish keeping!

Post by 616 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:09 am

Thank you Diana

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 pm

For those of us in the U.S., what is the U.S. gallon equivalent of 144 litres? And those dimensions in cms -- what would that be in inches? We don't do metric over here ...

nhkg

Post by nhkg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Use some program, for example google: https://www.google.cz/search?q=144+litr ... 8AfahbioAw

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 am

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

This will convert many measurements.

Here are a few formulas that are pretty easy to use followed by the more accurate formula.
Just for a really quick conversion- use the top formula to get in the ballpark.
then the more accurate conversion- use the lower formula for more accurate conversion.

4 liters = 1 gallon
3.8 liters = 1 gallon

2.5 cm = 1"
2.54 cm = 1"

30 cm = 1'
30.48 cm = 1'

Happy fish keeping!

Post by 616 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:37 am

Well here’s an update, I rehome all fish except the Badis and have fallen for Pangios. I have various species and they seem very content. They include a Dorae, oblonga, semicincta and anguillaris. Might have to get another tank so I can really go to town on a pangio only tank

Post by 616 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:38 am

Oh and I have now increased the temperature to suit Pangio species

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 pm

Pangios are a fun group, especially in a tank large enough to keep quite a few.
Special trick: Some like hiding in a group under a rock or branch. Put a rock or branch against the front glass of the tank so you can see the fish when they hide in their cave.

Happy fish keeping!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 am

Congrats!

They are great fish to have, and quite long lived....so commitment is needed..

Give them some caves to hide. Mine loved the coconut cave but when I moved them in with the clown loaches, the coconut cave was stolen from them.. :roll: Yesterday I found them in a plant pot that had been knocked sideways by the clown loaches and in fact it still has a crypt growing out of it, but mostly the roots are left inside, no soil in the pot, also the denison barbs polished all the grown leaves of the crypt down to stalks....The pangio loaches were amongst the roots, almost all 6 of them....They really prefer coming out with tank lights off but if the tank is heavily planted, they'd be out all day....

As for the snail explosion, it is there for a reason....catching them isn't the way to go...There's a lot of snails when something else in the tank is in abundance. Snails are there to compensate for that and while there's an issue with the tank, its best to leave the snails alone so they do what they're there to do... The original issue is most certainly excess food....Once that's sorted, the snail population will diminish...

Post by 616 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 pm

I have a heavily planted tank with lots of wood, oak leaves and smooth sand substrate. They’re incredibly happy. Wish I knew how to post a picture