CLOWN LOACH BREEDING????

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

CLOWN LOACH BREEDING????

Postby GREENWOOD » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I have posted a number of Videos..Facebook..Freshwater Passion.... on some very unordinary clown loach activity...

I have had them 20 years...there now moving gravel and building "nest"...any advice would be great...

]https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreshwaterPassion/
Last edited by GREENWOOD on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREENWOOD

Re: CLOWN LOACH BREEDING????

Postby redshark1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 am

Sorry I could not see your text or pics.

My 23 year old CLs have plenty of spawning behaviour where the males chase and swim alongside the females but no eggs have ever been laid.
6 x Clown Loaches, 1f10.5", 1f9", 4m6", 1995, 6' x 18" x 18" 400l/110usgal.
redshark1

Postby chefkeith » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Any updates?
chefkeith

Postby chefkeith » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 am

I just reviewed many of those videos on Facebook. To me, it looks like typical "boss" clown loach behavior, where they are competing for both food and space. As for the digging, your fish are simply looking for food in the gravel. It could be leftovers, but could also be live things as snails, worms, planaria, ect. There is an invisible food chain in all established aquariums, that you can't see with the naked eye. The bacteria, algae, and plankton are the foundation of this microbial world in our fish tanks. That world becomes larger and more complete, as our aquarium ages. So when and if one of the clown starts digging or looking for live food buried in the gravel, the boss clown will fight for it because it's technically in their space.

I have about 40 clown loaches, which are 12-20 years old, ranging from 4" to 11" inches long. They are kept in a 400 gallon multi-tank aquarium system with a footprint of about 30 square feet, with a continuous drip water change system. Even with all that space, the clown bosses fight often, even when they aren't hungry. My rouge clowns dig all the time looking for treasures and there's not much the boss clowns can do about it because I have so many clowns. Anyways, the tanks are over 10 years old and sometimes I can actually see the worms in the gravel that the clowns are digging for. They are some type of blackworm, bloodworm, or tubifex worm. They are probably everywhere in the gravel, especially near the bottom.
chefkeith

Return to Loach Forum