Do i go for some skunk loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

elliott_001

Do i go for some skunk loach?

Post by elliott_001 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:26 pm

Hello everybody! I have just started a new 30G aquarium, i have fishless cycled and now have 3 botia striata and 2 otocinclus, i am considering some skunk loach, but i have heard so many bad things about them, stories of them killing other fish and being very aggressive. They're supposed to be very entertaining, and have been recommended to me by some people (who have obviously had success with them), but i dont want to get them if they are going to terrorise my other fish!

Also will they still need to be in a minimum group of 3 even though i already have 3 zebra loach? Can anybody help me?
Thanks

barbara

Post by barbara » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:33 pm

i don't think i'd do it. more because the striatas are a lively group and when they are full grown you won't want many more fish than what you already have in there. i say this based on my group of six striatas who are the sole inhabitants of a 20Long tank...and need to be moved, imo, to a larger situation...probably a 40Breeder tank (which is the next larger tank that i have). they get along okay in the 20L but i think they are becoming a bit aggressive with each other for territory...and they do have quite a lot of wood and slate to hide under.

usually loaches do best in groups of three or more but i don't know about skunks. like you, i've only heard about their behavior. you might try a search in the archives as i think there was some discussion about them quite awhile back.
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.

elliott_001

Post by elliott_001 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:02 pm

ok, thanks, i think i might just stick with the striata's, they're just so tiny at the moment, i was wondering if i could have any more loach in there. Nearly all that i have read about the skunk loach is bad, i dont think it is worth the hassel.

barbara

Post by barbara » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:44 pm

sounds wise. indeed striatas can start small. they don't get huge particularly but mine are, i suppose 2 1/2-3" long now. maybe longer but about that. thing is they are very active. maybe have more of them if you are inclined. a 30G tank is probably fine for a group of six of them....it's a 3' long tank, right?

mwood322

Post by mwood322 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:07 pm

I also would not recommend skunks, though they do well in groups of their own kind they tend to pick on more peaceful loaches. I have a school of 8 in their own 55 with aggressive tankmates. They live in there because they picked on my clowns, yo-yos, and histronicas too much, and I do have one skunk I still have to move, as once they are in a tank they are next to impossible to remove without tearing the tank apart. :roll:

I'd add another straita or two if your tank has enough space for them, meaning not too many other fish. Upper level schoolers also make loaches feel more secure about venturing out.

--Mia

elliott_001

Post by elliott_001 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:51 am

The tank is 1meter long, so there is a fair bit of room for swimming. Thanks for the advice, i now know not to buy any skunks! Interesting, i didn't know that shooling uper level fish made loach feel more comfortable. I think im going to add more different fish and see how it goes, judging on the bio-load, then if i have any room i'll add another 1 or 2 striata. My next addition is a Rainbow shark!

barbara

rainbow shark

Post by barbara » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:00 am

what size does that grow to?

elliott_001

Post by elliott_001 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:23 am

They grow pretty big, it will be my biggest fish when fully grown, upto about 6".

barbara

i was thinking they might

Post by barbara » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:34 am

get big as i've seen other sharks that are quite large...aquarium ones i mean. : ) i hope they are friendly...and you may want to limit yourself to what you have now if you want to add a fish of that size. i find that understocking tends to work out better but then if you are vigorous about water changes and so on and have fish at various levels of water territories then maybe it's okay. the rainbows are a good option. my daughter got some lovely blue ones that remained fairly small and are quite beautiful....some rainbows do get quite large.

JonGuerriero

Skunks

Post by JonGuerriero » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:12 am

elliott_001 wrote:The tank is 1meter long, so there is a fair bit of room for swimming. Thanks for the advice, i now know not to buy any skunks! Interesting, i didn't know that shooling uper level fish made loach feel more comfortable. I think im going to add more different fish and see how it goes, judging on the bio-load, then if i have any room i'll add another 1 or 2 striata. My next addition is a Rainbow shark!
I would have to agree with the general coconscious here.....pass on the skunks for now. They are not good for a community type tank. I keep 3 in a 40 long with a rainbow sharks and a few other more aggressive fish and they do well. If there is a fish in the tank that can be picked on then the skunks will pick on him.

If you have the chance and the space in the future I would pick up the skunks. They are really active and have great personalities.

elliott_001

Post by elliott_001 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:14 am

Yeah, im pretty sure it will be ok, i have spoke to people on the aquarium advice forums and they say it should be fine. If rainbow sharks are kept as individuals then they are ok, in groups under 6 they tend to fight.