meds safe for loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mousey

meds safe for loaches?

Post by mousey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:17 pm

can someone make a consice list for me or direct me to the spot where this info can be found?
i have read quik cure is toxic for them but someone has posted on the site that they used it.
some places say that salt is ok as a treatment and other places say it hurts them.
need clarification.
thanks

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:58 pm

if they use ANY medication, they alter the dosage... usually 1/2 of what is on the directions..
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:42 am

Actually that is not true.
Many meds are fine with loaches at full strength.
Here is a list of meds I use.
Maracyn1
Maracyn 2
These 2 above for Chronic wasting disease
Maracide For ich (raise heat 86 and aireate)
Levamisole Hydrachloride Internal parasites at ph< 6.9
Prazi Pro (praziquantal) Internal Parasites any ph
Melafix for wound and fin healing(they will react to a bit but is fine usually they all come out of hiding and zoom around Actually I use it sometimes just look for reclusive loaches)
This generally all that is need for loaches imho
Erik
16G bent corner planted ,pressurized Co2, turbotwist 9w, jebo 828 , 36 led

mousey

Post by mousey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Thanks Eric. I would zoom around if you put melafix in my tank too. My bettas always seem happier once they get out of it.

DRLashambe

Post by DRLashambe » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:37 pm

I have used Rid-Ich through 3 Ich manifestations, and I've had no issues with the clown loaches at all.

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:41 pm

Hmm Iv'e not used rid ich before as I have a 2L bottle of original formula maracide which is the "bomb".
I see your from London, I sure miss going to Joe Kools for nacho's:) Grew up there myself moved out to bc in 94. Actually I even miss the snow...
Erik

DRLashambe wrote:I have used Rid-Ich through 3 Ich manifestations, and I've had no issues with the clown loaches at all.

DRLashambe

Post by DRLashambe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:47 am

Miss the snow? Insanity. I'm originally from Sault Ste Marie, I moved here so there would be less snow.

As for the Ric-Ich, it can be used at full strength, only takes about 4 days, and has meant a full recovery for my clowns. I had a Pleco death a little while back that happened within a few days of dosing, but he was sick before I got him, so it's hard to tell if the meds had anything to do with it.

mousey

Post by mousey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:40 pm

Erick,I am north of Toronto. We will ship you snow if you miss it-- free shipping even!
Mousey

fusQer

Post by fusQer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:47 am

Erik wrote:Actually that is not true.
Many meds are fine with loaches at full strength.
Here is a list of meds I use.
Maracyn1
Maracyn 2
These 2 above for Chronic wasting disease
Maracide For ich (raise heat 86 and aireate)
Levamisole Hydrachloride Internal parasites at ph< 6.9
Prazi Pro (praziquantal) Internal Parasites any ph
Melafix for wound and fin healing(they will react to a bit but is fine usually they all come out of hiding and zoom around Actually I use it sometimes just look for reclusive loaches)
This generally all that is need for loaches imho
Erik
how do you know for sure 100% that the maracyn 1&2 combo cured wasting disease? i mean how did you know for sure that the fish had wasting disease? also, how did you dose the medicines, full course of 1? followed by full course of 2?

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 am

Fusqer
Well the fish were very skinny pinched behind the head. The maracyns are administered at the same time, full dosage for 10 days.
Watch for nitrite spikes as this often happens with the maracyns, it is not serious only temporary. I use Seachem Prime water conditioner in my Qt tank at 2-5x dose as this will neutralize it.
Not only helpful for skinny it cleans them out of most other nasty pathogens.
After treatment appetite increases exponentially and as did growth.
Also the maracide I treat also at the same time full strength. (the maracide I have is the original formula which was the best {no longer made:( })
I now also treat with prazi or levamisole afterwoods just in case.
It sounds like alot but seems botias seem to carry an inordinate amount of nasties from the wilds.
Erik

mousey

Post by mousey » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:04 pm

should i be treating my loaches"just in case" if they carry paracites?
I just popped them in with my other fish. I know not a good idea, but no q tank available-- full of fishes.

fusQer

Post by fusQer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Erik wrote:Fusqer
Well the fish were very skinny pinched behind the head. The maracyns are administered at the same time, full dosage for 10 days.
Watch for nitrite spikes as this often happens with the maracyns, it is not serious only temporary. I use Seachem Prime water conditioner in my Qt tank at 2-5x dose as this will neutralize it.
Not only helpful for skinny it cleans them out of most other nasty pathogens.
After treatment appetite increases exponentially and as did growth.
Also the maracide I treat also at the same time full strength. (the maracide I have is the original formula which was the best {no longer made:( })
I now also treat with prazi or levamisole afterwoods just in case.
It sounds like alot but seems botias seem to carry an inordinate amount of nasties from the wilds.
Erik
argh well after seeing your posts i ordered a jug of maracide from bigals. so its not good anymore? is it hte stuff that harms clowns and other loaches?

i bought 3 baby kubotai's 10 days ago, they are in a Q tank and are doing fine. i want to preventative medicate them for skinny disease, so i ordered some maracyn 1&2. i would like to look for symptoms to see if htey have hte skinny, what do i look for? they are babies, i have some photos i will post in a bit maybe you can help me. thx

shari

Post by shari » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:49 pm

here's a site on Skinny Disease aka Cronic Wasting Syndrome with pictures that should help you diagnose:

http://www.geocities.com/pktechlizard/skinny.htm

hth