72 gallon up and running! *Have a pic now*

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Icewall42

72 gallon up and running! *Have a pic now*

Post by Icewall42 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am

I'll try to get some pictures of it up soon, though I've been lousy with aquarium shots. Sand is all washed and the tank is put together and running. It's looking very barren at the moment, but once I get the pictures up, I'd love some advice on how to start decorating it. I really love natural scenes. I have no idea where to even start on putting stuff in.
Last edited by Icewall42 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LUVaLOACH

Re: 72 gallon up and running!

Post by LUVaLOACH » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:41 am

Icewall42 wrote:I'll try to get some pictures of it up soon, though I've been lousy with aquarium shots. Sand is all washed and the tank is put together and running. It's looking very barren at the moment, but once I get the pictures up, I'd love some advice on how to start decorating it. I really love natural scenes. I have no idea where to even start on putting stuff in.
Congrats on your new big tank. Can't wait to see some pictures! How exciting.

Kris
Have you loved your loach today?

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks. The tank is still a bit cloudy :( I suppose that will eventually clear up.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:13 pm

just put some polyester pillow filling or quilt batting or filter floss in the filter, it'll clear up real fast..

just make sure the batting (if you use it) doesnt have any fire-retardents or other chemicals in it...

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:42 pm

Found some filter batting and I placed that into one of my filters. I think it might be helping. Oh and here's the first picture of the tank. I'm sorry it's not very good, but me, cameras, and aquariums don't mix so well.

And that blurry thing is a hand :P I suppose it provides some frame of reference. Also, the cloudiness is still a little apparent... The lighting is way too bright I think, so I may take out one of the bulbs.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Good potential in there! Nice to see another 72 gallons of potential loach home up and running.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:22 pm

wow, thats pretty nice looking, im sure the loachies will be happy!!!

and yes, the lighting does seem a tad high, taking out a tube would help..good luck!!

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:40 pm

One worthy alternative to removing elements from the lights is just to mount some plants higher in the water column and provide areas of shade. Microsorum pteropus (check that spelling), does a fantastic job and grows very well if it's mounted on a piece of wood half way up the height of the tank. You'll have to divide it or simply prune it, but it creates good areas of shade on the tank floor that are still bright enough for a lot of smaller plants to grow.

I'd say it might be a bit early to tell, as well. Wait til the water is clear and maybe bring in some other bits of decor so less light reflects off the sand.

Just ideas - I wish it was my tank to play with!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks all :) I'm pretty happy with how it set up. It's much clearer now, though not yet crystal clear. I will check into the plant you mentioned, as well as some others that I know work very well for shade (Large java fern seems to help). I might also try to get some hygrophilia, wisteria, and some elodea or anachris. I LOVE the anubias when they are lush and big. Also, the green and bronze wendtii plants used to work well for me.

Sadly I think almost all these plants will have to come off eBay or another good retailer online, as there are even fewer plant choices here than loches.

So, along with the Microsorum, what are some other plant favorites that work well with loaches?

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:44 pm

Depending of course on what type of loach your talking about, I have found most plants hold up fine. The basic two things about loaches and plants is that larger loaches that like to dig will enjoy uprooting plants, and that some loaches like to pretend to be hole-punches.

Plants that root well into the substrate usually have no problems with loaches. Heck, my large red rubin sword took quite a lot of force for me to pull it out, I mean I really had to work at it! No way a loach has a chance pulling that sucker out (once its well established). Crypts and java fern have done well also and are usually easy to grow.

What determines the species of plants or how well they will do will be what your willing to do to accomodate them (substrate, ferts, lighting, etc.) I am not the expert on 'low-tech' plant tanks, but usually you would want to stick to more hardy plants that are undemanding, and fertilize very little if at all. Do regular water changes and make sure your light is appropriate but not too bright (else you'll have a nice algea & loach tank). Most low-tech'ers stick to around 2wpg of light or there abouts.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:38 pm

I think the tank is lovely. It will clear up nicely and as you add some floating/tall plants the light will dim.
I'm sorry it's not very good, but me, cameras, and aquariums don't mix so well.
Hah! Yep, my photographical inexpertise is a standing joke around here... :lol:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:09 pm

Cool, definitely all sound advice, and thanks. I may try to get some water sprite for the floating plants, as I've had decent luck with that in the past. I had stalks growing out of my big tank when I had that setup!

I transplanted the fish this evening, and so far they are completely in love. Most seem to have found their new hiding places, and the little clown was stirring up the tank with joy. The modestas also finally looked happy :)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:02 am

76 Gallons of Loachy Goodness!

Superb! 8)

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm

Well, here's the tank again with all my fish in it. They were all out when I came home, but I jsut fed them, so they are off digesting. You can see Fornax, my biggest and oldest clown, and I think the Histrionica poking his nose out from beneath the big log. The modestas already dug out a bunch of sand from under the big log so they can fit under it too.

I'd get fishy close-ups, but I've decided that this camera just can't focus close up.

By the way, the total tank inhabitants are:

3 Botia Macracanthus
3 Botia Modesta
2 Botia Morleti
1 Botia Histrionica
1 Botia Striata
1 Kuhli Loach
1 Botia Helodes
1 Sinibotia Pulchra

Think that's all.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 pm

sweet tank!!

how large is that clown?!

i like that big rock on the right-side...it looks neat..

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta