Kuhli Loach question

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Derrin

Kuhli Loach question

Post by Derrin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:12 pm

I was told that the Kuhli Loach has the same diet as the algea eater. I see that in the description they eat the left over food and small worms and such. But I see no mention of them eating plant matter. I was told this by a retailer of fish and I wanted to get this answer from people who know loaches best.
Thanks for your help,
Derrin

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Not really.

They eat pretty much the same as other loaches (which in the case of a community tank mostly means leftovers).

Various catfish pellets are fine, including algae-based. They actually like flakes --- that is if you can deliver flakes to them. If you have a tank without other loaches, choose a few large flakes and drop them to the bottom: a khuli slowly eating a flake is fun to observe. Small worms are fine too -- if you can deliver them to the bottom of the tank without other fish eating them first.

HTH

cybermeez

Kuhlis

Post by cybermeez » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Kuhlis are omnivores, meaning they eat both veggies and meaty things. Min particularly like TetraMin Pro crisps, Hikari alage wafers and Hikari forzen bloodworms.

beeman

Post by beeman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:05 am

Do Kuhlis still dig around in the substrate and completly hide themself when kept in groups?

I wanna know if they will compete with corys for food, or if they go a layer below the corys for their food.

Tery

Post by Tery » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:42 am

My kuhlies compete with the cories for food. They also like the tetra crisps. It funny to watch them grab & run with it. They also like the tetra prima, and that sinks faster. In fact i'm not sure there is anything they don't like. I 'll have to try them on flake food, I never thought of it .