Too much air for fish from long bubbler?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Xirxes

Too much air for fish from long bubbler?

Post by Xirxes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:03 pm

Hello,

I just recently replaced an air pump for my 14" bubbler, and now there are a TON of bubbles coming out. The pump that was recommended was the Elite 803. The two clowns i have in the tank seem to love it! (swimming up to the top of tank and "braving the current" all the way to bottom before repeating.

It just seems to be a ton of air coming out now.

My question is if there is such a thing as too many bubbles for Loaches? Being river dwelling fish, i have read that they like a current here and there, and there ARE sections of my 30g tank that have little to no current, but the section above the long bubbler are quite turbid.
Last edited by Xirxes on Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:20 pm

You can't have "too much" air in a fish tank, but you will eventually need a larger tank if you mean to keep clown loaches. I would say at least 75 gallons.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

shari

Post by shari » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:43 pm

I agree with Mark on both counts. 30g is too small for clowns for long, and lots of air bubbles will only make the clowns happy...

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Only for the sake of being contrarian and what else can I do with all the snow outside?

Yes, too many bubbles may be bad for your fish.

Specifically, if these are very small bubbles and you got a lot of them, some may "stick" to the fish and provide an additional lift, this may disorient and hurt small "ordinary" fish. Not clowns, and probably not any loaches, but small danios/barbs/tetras/rasboras -- yeah.

shari

Post by shari » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:16 pm

You just love that 'contrarian' stuff, don't ya mikev? 8)

Nah, must be the snow.... :lol:

cybermeez

Bubbles and pH

Post by cybermeez » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:40 pm

Lots of air bubbles can raise pH in a closed system. But with pH the biggest concern is primarily instablity.