Clown loach drooped dorsal fin...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Xirxes

Clown loach drooped dorsal fin...

Post by Xirxes » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:06 pm

One of my two clowns has a slight case of Ich (Ugh again, i know) and is very slow and hiding more than usual, and whenever he is out, the dorsal fin is never fully extended, like it is too weak to raise.

Now i noticed that my healthy loach never has his dorsal fin back, even when frightened.

Is this just a sign of the stress? any help will be appreciated.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Sign of stress, or sign of disease that is more than slight, or sign that something else is wrong.

Ignore it for now, recheck the water one more time just in case, and treat for Ich.

shari

Post by shari » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 pm

Planked fins and lethargy are signs of something wrong in almost all fish (except Hillstreams who keep them down for a reason). I agree you should certainly treat for ich since you had it in the tank recently. You may be looking at more than that, by now, however.

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:51 pm

Another counterexample is a Pleco.

My contrarian nature sent me to the local house of ill repute today (that is the local PetLand store) to check on their loaches. Unfortunately, most were dead by the time I arrived (a tank of khulis upside down, a tank of dojos, upside down, some on the ground, some floating)....but they should get fresh inmates tomorrow....

I was doubtful that khulis maintain upright dorsal -- it seems to be too small to be of any use -- but I think now it is true.