best type of tank...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

best type of tank...

glass?
69%
acrylic?
31%

Total votes: 16

poeticpyro

best type of tank...

Post by poeticpyro » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:49 pm

all i have to say is what is the best type of tank and why..
glass or acrylic...
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

lunasmile

acrylic

Post by lunasmile » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:55 pm

There are more benefits in having an acrylic tank. Its lighter, you can easliy switch to saltwater, its higher in demand, would have a better selling value than glass and more durable. Glass is too heavy, seals will eat away during time.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:04 pm

No clear answer on this one because of several factors.

Technically, acrylic is better because of clarity, weight v's size, ability to be formed into complex shapes at reasonable cost, etc.

Glass wins on price for smaller rectangular tanks. Once you get up to around 6 feet in length, say 120 gallons up, the weight constraints of glass tanks start to become an issue. Just getting a big glass tank in place can be a major logistical problem, whereas an acrylic tank the same size may be far more manageable.

A lot of this will come down to personal preferences and the cost. I've never had acrylic tanks so cannot comment on their long-term maintenance and susceptibility to scratching. I do remember seeing a public aquarium with acrylic sheet panels on huge tanks where big Plecostomus and Panaques had scratched the glass with their rasping teeth.

Mind you, my Clowns reside in a 6 foot glass tank that the previous owner(s) had scratched terribly apparently while cleaning off algae. Both materials demand care.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

WhtDragn101

Post by WhtDragn101 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:53 pm

I have a 60 gal. acrylic tank that I bought used. The thing about acrylic is that, yes, it scratches easily (but not as easily as you might think), but unless it is a deep scratch, it will usually go unoticed when filled with water. Empty, it will look terrible, but filled, 99% of the time you won't see them. Even with lots of little scratches, the clarity is great. Another advantage is it also very light and easy to carry by yourself, and it can't leak because there is no silcone seals to leak from. The only two things I don't like is the top openings are "set in stone" The slots they give you for filters and such are all you get. Glass tanks you can just remove the hood and there you go. Also, the way the glass is usually bent on the front corners warps the view (in the corners), but this is not a huge deal.
Sorry that some of this was a repeat from what other people said, but this is my personal experiance.

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:46 am

Acrylic tanks stand up better in a largish earthquake, if you live in an area that frequently gets them.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:06 am

They sell scratch removing kits. I have a 540 gal. acrylic and 4 men can pick it up and put it on the stand. even old fat men, because I am one of the men. :lol: :lol:

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:34 am

I have loves and hates for both types, so let's see here....

Acrylic -
Like: Light, easy to remove scratches (I've done it :))
Dislike: Small openings (not easy to get into for decoration/work), rounded corners distort view

Glass -
Like: To me clearer, no round corners, easier to clean without scratching
Dislike: Heavy, scratches show more

stephen

Post by stephen » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:49 pm

my first tank was a curved front acrylic tank and the fish didnt like 2 come out becuase there reflection was so big and deformed even after a month and a half i had 2 change to a flat glass and the fish completly changed just thot i let u know
no man is a island unless his name is madargascar

mianos

Post by mianos » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:59 am

My main glass tank has rounded corners but it's not a bow front. The front it flat but the edges are bent as if they are simply melted. I like glass but it scares me a bit when the tank is large.